Review of Orcas Forever

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bibliophile Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: I am a hacker! Chronicle of the Lost Generatio by Dmitry Artimovich

Review of Orcas Forever

Post by Bibliophile Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Orcas Forever" by Marie-Paule Mahoney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Orcas Forever is a book that tells a short story about a pod of orcas that move around the Salish Sea. Marie-Paule Mahoney brings to light the current situation of orca presence here on Earth. The ocean bears so many mysteries, and humans have tried to understand their denizens, especially the dolphins, which have human-like intelligence. The K pod of orcas begins their hunting spree for their daily meal, led by their two matriarchs, Sequim and Lea. After this, they will link up with J and L pods, which will begin the greeting ceremony. What goes on during this tradition of theirs? What dangers do they face over their lifespan?

The book was aesthetically pleasing to read. The illustrations were so good that they told a story of their own without the words. The illustrator understood what needed to be done to captivate a young audience and engage an older one. I had a good time just leafing through the pages and wished I had some of the pictures as wallpapers.

The behavioral demeanor of the orcas intrigued me. The author highlighted how the orcas operated to make us understand them. All findings were gotten from a live study of the orcas in their natural habitat. It impacted new knowledge on me. I learned that the orcas run a matriarchal society, and the fathers have no role in child upbringing. I also learned how they processed grief, which was a surprising discovery. There were more things to learn from reading it.

The book's central message is about the endangerment of this unique breed of animals. It is a call to action about how human actions affect the ecosystem of these animals, which in turn affect ours and not positively. Although meant for young readers, the dramatized story of true-life events also shows older ones how we need to care for our fellow earthly residents.

Orcas Forever is a short read with an impactful message. It is exceptionally edited and appealing to read. I have no issues with it. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to both young and old readers with empathy for sea animals.

Orcas Forever
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Children's Books”