Review of The Whaler's Daughter

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review of The Whaler's Daughter

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Whaler's Daughter" by Jerry Mikorenda.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Whaler’s Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda is about Savannah Dawson, a Whaler’s daughter, living with her dad. In their household, Savannah was expected to cook, clean, and do other household chores. However, Savannah hated these tasks and had wanted to whale rather than be in the kitchen. She made this clear to her father on a daily basis and believed her gender was why her father wouldn't let her whale, thus going so far as to cut her hair short to resemble a boy to put her point across. Savannah's brothers have died, and her father was adamant about keeping her from whaling to protect her.

Will Savannah convince her father and his colleagues that she is capable of whaling just as anyone else? Follow Savannah on this epic journey of agency, friendship, magic and maybe, just maybe, a young brewing love to discover whether she will become a whaler or that perhaps she is destined for a more significant calling.

While the book has various themes, I particularly liked the themes of liberation and finding purpose. It is always a pleasure to read about women and girls rising above patriarchy and paternalism, above traditional gender roles and exercising their agency, divorcing themselves from the shackles of conventional gender stereotypes.

I liked that this book portrayed a strong agentic female protagonist, who may have been ‘lost’ at first, trying to find herself and her belonging and discovering this in the most unlikely place and people. This is a valuable lesson for the young people for whom the book is intended. I also liked that Savannah had some unique gifts, including drawing.

The author’s writing delivers a smooth and pleasurable read, which is difficult to put down. I felt transposed into the story, watching the characters go about their business. This book is also professionally edited, enhancing the reader’s experience. There is nothing that I disliked about it.

I found this book in the children’s section, and upon reading it, I got the sense that it is suitable for young people, perhaps from the age of twelve and above. I would also love to recommend it to adults looking for a light, pleasurable read. For the brilliant story it tells, beautiful characters portrayed, and a positive outlook on people’s capabilities despite gender and race, I rate this book four out of four stars.

The Whaler's Daughter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”