Review of Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Review of Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

Post by Andrada Madalina »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi is a children's book that combines mystery and humor. It presents a baking contest and the adventure of a detective team in South Korea. Also, the book illustrates various themes such as pets' life, friendship, leadership, and teamwork.

Briefly, the story focuses on Inca, a Siberian cat who is the leader of the Detective Agency consisting of the cats Cara, Fromage, and Monk, the hamster Charlotte and the dogs Terrance and Polo. Their owner Missy is selected to be one of the judges of a pastry competition in South Korea. Thus, the detective team starts a new journey in the Korean Peninsula, a buffer zone between North Korea and South Korea.

I liked the book's structure as a journal in which Inca wrote down all the important events like a true detective. I loved her observations, her quick decisions, and how she efficiently coordinated her team. Also, I liked the characters' development. I appreciated Ye-Jun's kindness when he invited Missy to his home to facilitate the comfort of her pets, and I empathized with Baram's sadness regarding the country's division and the impossibility of seeing his cat friend from North Korea.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. I loved how R.F. Kristi illustrated how good cats are at reading humans and their hidden intentions. Also, I liked that the author presented the close bond between humans and their pets and the difficult decisions that animals make for the sake of their owners. For instance, I appreciate that Inca and her friends performed a risky mission to bring Bo-Ming, Ji's cat, from North Korea without involving Missy to avoid a diplomatic crisis between North and South Korea.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because, as an avid lover of cats, dogs, and mysteries, I enjoyed reading a story whose protagonists are pets, and not just any kind of pets, but detective pets. I loved the descriptions of the cherry blossoms, the colorful illustrations with the cute pets with big eyes, and the sweet expressions of the cats. I liked the hilarious moments at the airport regarding Missy's famous cheese and Enzo. Also, the book was exceptionally well edited since I discovered no single error while reading it.

I recommend this book to children who like solving mysteries while having fun. It is perfect for those who enjoy stories about friendship and the culture of Korea, especially those who love pets. Also, Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula is suitable for a large audience, either for parents who want to read an interesting story to their children or for young adults who love animals and mysteries.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”