Review of Billy Amigo & Little Willy Wiggle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: Billy Amigo & Little Willy Wiggle by L.G. Ingle (Lawrence G.Ingle)
2022 Reading Goal: 55
2022 Goal Completion: 38%

Review of Billy Amigo & Little Willy Wiggle

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Billy Amigo & Little Willy Wiggle" by L.G. Ingle (Lawrence G.Ingle).]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Billy Amigo & Lil’ Willy Wiggle by L. G. Ingle is a picturesque and colorful story about a little boy and his new best friend, Willy Wiggle.

Young Billy Amigo befriends a slippery earthworm that he finds inside his shoe. Billy decides to take his pet worm, Willy Wiggle, on a fishing trip. With teamwork, they hope to reel in a big one. Thankfully, Willy knows a few tricks to help his humanoid friend lure a fish. But, will Willy Wiggle get eaten? After all, worms are a delicacy for aquatic vertebrates. Can Billy Amigo save his friend on time?

This enjoyable book was short, taking only a few minutes to read. Regardless, the lexical level is perfect for a guided-reading. It is particularly suitable for younger students who may need recovery reading during the summer vacation. The words contain short syllables, making them easy to enunciate; their repetition provides opportunities for extra practice. However, Ingle’s end rhymes are the most desirable literary tool this picture book offers, making it a key positive aspect. Although simple, they have a skippy melodic tune.

Ingle’s illustrations are also another highlight of this book. I grew up watching old cartoons, such as Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!. Billy Amigo has some of their qualities: outlandish facial expressions and vibrant colors. Even Billy’s freckles added to this nostalgia. I think Ingle did a commendable job on his artwork, which was a favorite of mine.

As a whole, the plotline has a strong friendship theme: Billy and Willy share a meal, which shows compassion. It was slightly comedic, barring the depictions of physical violence: I was disappointed by the pushing and slamming in this friendship tale. Those moments were antagonistic to the overall theme and contained a degree of bullying. Adding to that, the shiner drawn on the story character was a clumsy move.

After deliberating, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. There is work to be done on the editing; therefore, I can’t claim that it was professionally edited. Also, the mixture of physical violence and the peace signs conflicting, leading me to remove a second star. However, I held back from any further deduction because of the enthusiasm for outdoor activities brought on by this tale.

I do not recommend it as a classroom library book. Presumably, teachers will have to explain their choice to many unsettled parents. I recommend that parents check out this book beforehand. They are in a better position to decide if they want to pass it to their younger readers.

Billy Amigo & Little Willy Wiggle
View: on Bookshelves
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Summer Henrietta »

This is a very honest review. The storyline is really interesting , I'm curious to find out what happened to Willy.
Paully_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by Paully_ »

The book has a great plotline and a great theme. I hope the author rectify the negative aspects in the book.
PeterRabitt20
Latest Review: Billy Amigo & Little Willy Wiggle by L.G. Ingle (Lawrence G.Ingle)

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Summer Henrietta wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 21:31 This is a very honest review. The storyline is really interesting , I'm curious to find out what happened to Willy.
:lol: Sorry, I can't spill the beans on that one! You'll have to read the book! Thanks for reading my review!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Paully_ wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 22:06 The book has a great plotline and a great theme. I hope the author rectify the negative aspects in the book.
I hope so too! Thanks for your comment and reading my review!

Return to “Children's Books”