Review of Chubzy and the Magic Piper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Review of Chubzy and the Magic Piper

Post by Black Jewel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chubzy and the Magic Piper" by DR. Broomstickle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chubzy and the Magic Piper by DR. Broomstickle is a children’s book about a boy named Alexander Thomas Kindle III, Chubzy for short, and several other children he meets during their first day of fifth grade in the town of Dreamsville. However, this was not the average first day of school. Their true teacher is supplanted by Mrs. Broomstickle, who is quite evil and up to no good. Mrs. Broomstickle assigns the class a very unusual homework lesson, and strange events begin to take place from there. Will Chubzy and his new companions be able to thwart Mrs. Broomstickle’s plans and set to right everything she has thrown into chaos? Or will Mrs. Broomstickle come out on top?

This was a whimsical and fantastical children’s book, though surprisingly lengthy at two-hundred and forty pages. It is full of several engaging creatures that are certain to capture a child’s attention. It also contains several positive messages, such as how important it is to work as a team.

One thing that I did not like, however, was how redundant several locations and creature names were in this book. There was a ‘Lake of No Return,’ as well as: ‘The Sea of No Return.’ Such similar names were a little off-putting for me. This book also had several errors I discovered while I read it, so I believe it could use another round of editing before it is fully ready for readers to enjoy.

As a result, I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. For me, the redundancy of the names as well as the number of errors combined was enough to warrant the detraction of a single star.

I would recommend this book to young readers who have a firm grasp of their reading skills due to the great length of this story. It is long enough that some children might begin to lose interest before the end of the story is reached, so a parent might need to step in and find ways to help their young readers remain engaged. While there is no profanity or questionable scenarios here, some children might find themselves frightened by some of the events in this book. I would recommend a parent read it over before handing it to their child to make sure they find it to be a suitable choice.

Chubzy and the Magic Piper
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

Children really fantasize on being superheroes alot and this book is really adventurous.
Nice review.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

I hope Chubzy outsmarts Mrs Broomstickle. Older children would appreciate reading the book because of the number of pages. Thanks for your review.
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

Teachers have to be careful as to when given out certain assignments to children because the outcome might not be nice.Nice review.
Crystal Nail
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Crystal Nail »

I believe this would be a fantastic fiction/ fantasy book for young readers to read so as like the Charlie bone chronicles or Harry Potter. I believe many of those fans of course would read this book as well! it’s a great story and has good standing lead characters.
Namirembe Latinah

Post by Namirembe Latinah »

I like the readability in this book.A child can easily be attracted to read it and also the pictures
Namirembe Latinah

Post by Namirembe Latinah »

This is a fantastic fiction though its more than 200pages so it may stress a child.

Return to “Children's Books”