Review of Medieval Mashup

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of Medieval Mashup

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Medieval Mashup" by Charlene McIver.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s not easy to be in a wheelchair when you’re a child. Such children are limited in many activities, often feel deprived, and may fall into depression. Medieval Mashup by Charlene McIver and Caroline Keyes is a children’s book that touches on this topic.

The book follows three friends: Cosmo, Leigh, and Tara. Their school organizes a festival of medieval costumes, and students are divided into teams where everyone designs and creates their own costumes. Everyone is very excited about the upcoming festival. However, Leigh, who is in a wheelchair, has difficulty finding the ideal costume. The reader further learns what Leigh and his friends will be disguised in and who will win the costume contest.

First of all, this book mesmerized me with its graphical aspect. It is fully illustrated, and the illustrations look like they were hand-drawn with watercolors. The other thing I liked was the friendship between the characters in the book. I like the support that Tara and Cosmo constantly gave to Leigh and how they tried to find him a costume that would suit him perfectly. Of course, I also like the message conveyed by this story. If you’re in a wheelchair or in any way different from your peers, that doesn’t mean you’re less valuable or that you can’t be cool and fun. With all that, I would like to emphasize that the book is exceptionally well edited because I did not come across any errors.

I have nothing negative to point out about this story. I liked every aspect and enjoyed reading it from start to finish.

Taking everything into account, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Because of all the above, I have no reason to give it a lower rating. The book is a real little gem that can be an ideal gift for all children who feel different. I think it can boost their morale and confidence. I would also recommend all lower-grade teachers read this book to their students. Children can sometimes be cruel and give inappropriate comments to others who are different, and they are unaware of how those comments can affect others.

Medieval Mashup
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

This book is recommended to children who has always felt different from their mates. Thanks for a great review!
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

Age doesn't stop me from flipping through any colorful book. Children have a lot to learn from this book.

Return to “Children's Books”