Review of GingerAid!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Review of GingerAid!

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "GingerAid!" by Naimah K. Gbajabiamila and Aminah ‘Ginger’ Gbajabiamila.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

GingerAid! by Naimah K. Gbajabiamila and Aminah ‘Ginger’ Gbajabiamila is a thoughtful collaboration between a mother and daughter. Both of these creative and inspiring women envision a world where young girls can dream and choose to do anything they want and be anyone they desire. To deliver this important message, the authors created this book that is part coloring book and part inspirational poems and passages. The coloring pages feature young women pursuing careers in every possible field imaginable. The motivational blurbs are written by both mother and daughter and serve as a reminder to young women to never give up and to keep pursuing their dreams.

I love how much the passion of these co-authors just jumps off of these pages. It is clear that they want to share their beliefs with the young women of this world. They even included some examples of inspirational women who have made big names for themselves in the world today. My favorite part of this book is the impression of a genuine desire to help others and to see them grow.

While the poems throughout the book and the inspirational pieces written by Aminah ‘Ginger’ Gbajabiamila appear to have been edited, the short blurb written by Naimah K. Gbajabiamila is full of typographical errors. I know that she is only 13 years old, but this portion of the book still should have been edited by someone. I felt that it took away from the rest of the book as it was at the beginning and served as an introduction to the rest of it. This was my least favorite thing about this book.

Despite the editorial errors, I still found meaning in this book. I think it can be a helpful tool for girls trying to decide what path to take in life. It even has a journal portion of the book to aid in that. I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It seems to be a work of love with good intentions at its heart. The pictures are various and should be enjoyable to color in. The message portrayed is one we all need to be reminded of at times. We do not need to be afraid to be who we want to be in life.

I would recommend this book to young adult females. They should find joy in the coloring pages and gain useful advice in choosing a career path. This could also just be enjoyed by anyone who likes coloring and has an appreciation for some of the great women who have succeeded in life. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone looking for more fiction and fantasy. This book is very real and all about what the world has to offer.

GingerAid!
View: on Bookshelves
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

The colorful illustration in the book is something I must commend.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

It is really inspiring to know a child such a young age to have written such a wonderful book. Children will definitely love to read this book. Great review.
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Akinola John »

This is a book written by both mother and daughter to encourage and envision young girls around the world to pursue their dream. Including inspirational women that have made big names for themselves makes this book interesting. Thanks for the great review.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

I love the passion and the message about this book! I would like to read it despite the errors
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

At 13 having the vision for future of women in every walk of life. Amazing thought and it sounds like a nice coloring book with poems/ blurbs. Great review!
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Hamisha Bhana
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hamisha-bhana.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Hamisha Bhana »

I was drawn to the cover of the book. Having read the review, now knowing it is compiled by a young child I am even more heart warmed.

It’s inspiring and wonderful to see children write regardless of the language errors, the effort for me is commendable and can be overlooked especially given the socio-economic background and message driven in the book.

Let us celebrate our children in this world polluted by online social media platforms.

Insightful review, thank you.
Enrico Saludo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Enrico Saludo »

This book is very inspiring to every other children write regardless of error in language. Its very comendable and overlooked by socio economic background
Ebierea
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ebierea »

This book is so inspiring 😃can’t wait to recommend this to my kid sisters so that it will inspire them more to pursue their dreams.🥰
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

This book would greatly benefit young females. Anyone can also get one or two lessons from it.Great review.

Return to “Children's Books”