Review of Good Night Emily

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Good Night Emily

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Good Night Emily" by Leneequce Amboree.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every child has their share of phobias. Transitioning from sleeping with parents to their room has advantages and disadvantages for children. Some kids feel thrilled to have their space, especially boys. Conversely, girls might have reserved feelings for the same. They might feel insecure and even begin visualizing monsters and the like. Does your child have a problem sleeping alone? Do they experience nightmares? If so, how do you handle the situation?

In this novella, Emily has trouble sleeping solo. This time, Dad picks her up from school, and she tells him what she learned during the day. Dad is happy for his daughter, and they go home. Mom has prepared dinner. However, as they share the meal, Emily looks troubled. Concerned, Mom asks her if something is bothering her.

Emily expresses the distress that comes with sleeping alone. Dad tells her to buckle up because she is a big girl and sleep. However, in the middle of the night, Emily awakens and wakes her parents because she hears noises from her closet. The next day, Emily can barely sleep because she sees a monster on her door. She screams and awakens her parents. Mom and Dad invent a way to put their daughter to bed. What do they do?

The book is brief, but I found numerous poorly punctuated sentences and misused punctuation marks. The author should take it for professional editing. That's what I didn't appreciate. Consequently, I award the book 3 out of 4 stars.

I enjoyed how the pictorials stood out for being colorful. Moreover, the worrying expressions on Emily's face said it all. The monster-like structure inserted, Emily and her family were all a sight to behold. For these reasons, I applaud the illustrator for the impeccable work. I recommend Good Night Emily by Leneequce McGee to young kids struggling to sleep alone.

Good Night Emily
View: on Bookshelves
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

I really like to know how they were able to put her to bed. The information might be useful someday. Great review!
Nathalie Elsa Nelson
Currently Reading: Of the Earth
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsa-lee.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Nathalie Elsa Nelson »

My younger self can relate to Emily, I used to wake my parents a lot because of nightmares.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

I wondered where the monster in my childhood bedroom cupboard had gone!
The next day, Emily can barely sleep because she sees a monster on her door. She screams and awakens her parents. Mom and Dad invent a way to put their daughter to bed. What do they do?
Thanks for a lovely description of the story JonesLeeh. It looks worth reading to find out how Emily is supported to overcome her fears and feel safe to sleep.
Thank you.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I'd like to know how Emily's parents were able to alleviate her fears. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

Emily played her role very well in the book and the author deserves a praise for writing this. Awesome work
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

I really understand Emily fears. I wonder if her parents invented a way to put her to sleep. Thanks the nice review.

Return to “Children's Books”