Review of Red Feather and the Great White Bear

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JonesLeeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 203
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesleeh.html
Latest Review: Sober Daughter by Fawna Asfaw

Review of Red Feather and the Great White Bear

Post by JonesLeeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Red Feather and the Great White Bear" by Chuck Smithey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A young boy, Red Feather, was born in a village in very unusual times. Stories about the Great White Bear circulated, but only they boy came to meet it later in life. So, the tale begins. Typical to most boys, Red Feather wandered around the forest but did so for too long and got lost. He begins finding his way home, but it soon gets dark.

Unfortunately, Red Feather falls off a cliff and rolls severally before stopping. He falls asleep. In his dream, he witnesses a large white bear before him. Luckily for him, the animal does offer protection instead of harm. The bear summons the rest of the animals and delegates duties that would make sure Red Feather is adequately cared for. Suddenly, the boy wakes from his slumber, only to see an old man seated before him. No animals surround him. Will Red Feather get home safe? What does the dream represent?

I loved how Great White Bear looked after Red Feather in the dream. While most wild animals would cause harm, the bear's wisdom could not allow it. Then each animal is assigned a role: getting medicinal leaves, roots, and nuts, among other things. In modern life, each animal's ability represents the abilities various children possess.

The deer would run fast. Some children run faster than others. Some animals would swim in the river to acquire specific plants. The same thing happens in real life, where some kids are born natural swimmers. Other animals would see better at night. Therefore, we should not degrade anyone because we are gifted more than others.

This book suits well as a bedtime story and can be used as a teaching guide in learning institutions. As I found nothing to despise, I award Red Feather and the Great White Bear by Chuck Smithey 4 out of 4 stars. Further, I detected very few errors. We have a well-edited book. I recommend it to kids who love nature, animals, and thought-provoking reads.

Red Feather and the Great White Bear
View: on Bookshelves
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Blessing E »

As an avid reader and a book reviewer, I find it appealing to read well-written reviews. A good and honest review is always worth it. Well done on a nice one
Praise Chizurumoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-chizurumoke.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Praise Chizurumoke »

Nature explained at its best in a book, nothing beats the feeling of reading a well-written book, awesome review.
Ezidimma 01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ezidimma 01 »

I loved that the great white bear looked after him instead of inflicting harm. Great review thanks.
Asja Sabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Asja Sabani »

This sounds like a fun and interesting read for younger readers. My curiosity is piqued and I want to know if Red Feather gets home safely and what happens with the great white bear.

Return to “Children's Books”