Review of Fixing Nick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Fixing Nick

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fixing Nick" by Howie Groff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nick, the barn, is growing too old to continue housing all the animals. He accommodates various animals: pigs, goats, chickens, geese, cows, etc. The animals’ keeper named Farmer has met up with a carpenter who has agreed to construct a new barn for him.

Duke eavesdrops on the duo’s conversation and is astounded! Duke rushes and delivers the news to the rest of the animals. Goose handles the situation and tells them the only way to prevent Farmer from purchasing a new barn is by mending Nick. Meanwhile, Nick is sad because of his long-term attachment to the animals. Can the animals fix Nick?

A saying goes, “If you want to walk fast, walk alone. If you want to walk far, walk together.” The teamwork in the story was overwhelming! That's one thing I liked. When they decided to repair Nick, each animal assumed their role and did it to their level best. Teamwork can help children accomplish unlimited goals ranging from sports to classwork.

When Goose came up with the idea of fixing Nick, not all animals were open to the opinion. One of them (to avoid adding spoilers) argued that Farmer was right and a new barn was a decent idea. That teaches children that each person is entitled to their opinion, and your view may not always be correct. We should be open to new ideas.

I detected no grammatical flaws. Therefore, Fixing Nick by Howie Groff is professionally edited. The pictures of the animals while working together were vibrant. When Duke delivered the news, the facial expressions of the animals said it all. They liked Nick and could not want Farmer to acquire a new barn.

I did not disdain anything. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. If anything, children will pick desirable traits like wisdom, care, and joint effort. I recommend this educational piece to children between the ages of 4 and 9 years.

Fixing Nick
View: on Bookshelves
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I think children would greatly benefit from reading this. I enjoyed reading this review.
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

Thanks for a splendid review. I love this children's book. It seems to contain the right elements for children, and the storyline was perfectly constructed. Many children will definitely enjoy reading this. Kudos to the author for a job well done.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

The book looks really nice with great lessons for children. It;s important to teach children teamwork and to allow everybody to share his/her opinion. Nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

I strongly believe in teamwork. Can the animals pull it through? Will nick be in good shape or will the new barn built. Great review
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Kings1999 »

Excellent Children's book, and very beneficial to young ones. I admire the effort the author put into the creation of this. I love the review BTW, it was magnificent.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book has alot of useful lessons for children like teamwork, friendship and having their own opinions. Looking forward to seeing what the animal do for Nick. Thanks for the review.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

I think children will greatly enjoy reading this book. Great review, I truly enjoyed reading it.

Return to “Children's Books”