Review of The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Review of The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series)

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series)" by Claire Youmans.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy: Together by Claire Youmans is a fantasy story about two adopted shapeshifting siblings, Azuki and Shota, in 19th century Japan. It is book three in The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy series. Azuki and Shota are special children because they can shift into birds. Azuki can change into a toki (Japanese crested ibis), while Shota can become a sparrow. After losing their adopted parents to a vengeful villain interested in their feathers, the siblings go through a tumultuous time trying to find where they fit in. The siblings finally find peace with their uncle, who accepts and cares for them as his own. However, this fragile peace is on the verge of shattering when Azuki comes down with a strange illness that has confounded the local doctors. Worried about his sister, Shota leaves home without permission, vowing to find a cure. His voyage will teach them the importance of family and friendships.

The story begins with a brief explanation of the previous books in the series and includes a glossary of characters and terms. The author also did a marvellous job seamlessly weaving the first two books into this story, and as a result, I understood what had happened and didn’t get lost or confused. She was right in indicating that it was not necessary to read the first two books to enjoy this third part. I also loved her description of 19th century Japan and the cultures during that time. For example, I learned that the Japanese blackened their teeth when they came of age, and most women did this when they got married.

However, the plot was a bit too slow for my taste. There were only two rising actions I could identify from the story. The first was when Azuki fell ill (which got resolved almost immediately), while the second occurred towards the end of the book. The slow plot had the effect of making the book a bit boring. There were also a couple of errors, although they did not detract from my reading experience.

Despite the negatives, I found this book very fascinating, especially the vivid descriptions and cultures of 19th century Japan. I’m always ready to learn about different cultures. As a result, I’m giving this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

This fantasy novel is a suitable read for all ages. It will also be a perfect fit for readers interested in Japanese history and culture.

The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

A nice book cover and good review is all I need to delve into a book at once. Thanks for the review.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

I read this book and I love every bit of it. Shots is a great brother and I commend him for that
Poetic Justice
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Edit_or wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 16:40 A nice book cover and good review is all I need to delve into a book at once. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome, Edit_or. Happy reading!
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Sarah1738 wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 02:33 I read this book and I love every bit of it. Shots is a great brother and I commend him for that
I agree! A bit impulsive, but his heart is in the right place.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”