Review of Little Elli Mae is staying safe and well so how about you?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Haunted House
Bookshelf Size: 458
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Little Elli Mae is staying safe and well so how about you? by Cynthia Shareen Dobbs
2022 Reading Goal: 150
2022 Goal Completion: 8%

Review of Little Elli Mae is staying safe and well so how about you?

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Little Elli Mae is staying safe and well so how about you?" by Cynthia Shareen Dobbs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Throughout the recent COVID-19 pandemic, kids of all ages have struggled to understand the unexplainable shift that has drastically impacted lives around the world. Little Elli Mae Is Staying Safe and Well, So How About You? is a Christian children’s book by Cynthia Shareen Dobbs, and it is about a little girl who finds herself seeking answers, guidance, strength, and reassurance through God and her family. She desperately misses simpler times, times when life felt safe and normal. She feels perplexed by the newly instituted “stay-home rules” and closed storefronts throughout her town, and she doesn’t fully understand why so many harmful germs are suddenly hiding in plain sight.

Throughout this illustrated story, readers will encounter depictions of school buses, kites, bicycles, zoos, silly hats, libraries, and city swimming pools, but they will also see face masks, thermometers, and isolative scenes of social distancing. I love the rhyming scheme of Dobbs’ playfully poetic text, and I think it will immediately engage little minds with notoriously short attention spans. She has written a very realistic story about curiosity, awareness, unity, and preparedness, and the featured characters are shown with an equal representation of different races and genders throughout.

I did not come across any objective grammatical errors while reading, so I do believe this book was professionally edited before publication. There were no specific aspects of the layout or storyline that I disliked, so there are no areas that warrant necessary expansion or improvement. The storybook is 23 pages long and features an entertaining About the Author section at the very end. The character of Elli Mae is intended to serve as a positive role model for young readers who may be facing similar confusing uncertainties and fears during this time of our global pandemic, and I think Dobbs effectively presents the material in an approachable way.

I felt sympathy for Ellie Mae as she began to process her feelings of vulnerability, fear, and confusion, but it warmed my heart to see the ways in which she sought to find eventual acceptance and a broad understanding of her difficult situation. As I read along, I found many passages to be particularly poignant: “Then all she saw were people’s eyes, everybody in disguise. No more smiles, no more grins, she couldn’t even see their chins.”

I feel this book would be appropriate for children between the ages of 4 and 7, and I would recommend it to classrooms or households with an appreciation for Christianity-based storybooks. There is one scene that shows Little Elli Mae praying at her bedside, asking God for guidance, strength, and protection against the virus, but this book should easily appeal to most faiths and religious belief systems. I gladly award this little book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Little Elli Mae is staying safe and well so how about you?
View: on Bookshelves
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

This book makes us all think about how covid has affected each and every one of us. As adults it’s heartbreaking to see the fear through the eyes of a child peering over the top of a mask. A book like this would definitely help children feel they are not alone and that there is hope for a future that will once again be full of happiness. Thanks for this wonderful review!
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

This is another book I would love to keep reading. Awesome review.
AvidBibliophile
Latest Review: Little Elli Mae is staying safe and well so how about you? by Cynthia Shareen Dobbs

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 02:15 This book makes us all think about how covid has affected each and every one of us. As adults it’s heartbreaking to see the fear through the eyes of a child peering over the top of a mask. A book like this would definitely help children feel they are not alone and that there is hope for a future that will once again be full of happiness. Thanks for this wonderful review!
Thank you for your kind words of understanding, empathy, and support! May a mask-free future find us all, and may books like this help kids cope with and process the tumultuous nature of so many recent events. 😷🦠
AvidBibliophile

Mbenma Esther 080 wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 02:17 This is another book I would love to keep reading. Awesome review.
I really appreciate your feedback! Thank you for the sweet comment ☺️
Pauline Parnell
Currently Reading: Diamond in the Desert
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Awesome! It's important for everyone to understand the importance of having God in our lives. He is ever-present and ever-ready to be our guiding light. Children, like Ellie, need so much reassurance due to their vulnerability and fears. As Dobbs puts it "no more smiles and no more grins". I would love to read. Thanks for your review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The 90 Day Peace Project by Alice Langholt, Ph.D.

Post by Ellylion »

I believe it's a great book to help kids process everything what happens now in the world and around us. Thank you very much for this amazing review!
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 53%

Post by Raymond N »

Seems like a fun and easy to read story. Great review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
2022 Reading Goal: 40
2022 Goal Completion: 42%

Post by markodim721 »

I like the poetic text as well as the illustrations in the book. It is commendable that the book is well edited. Thanks for the good review.
thuriya albayaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by thuriya albayaa »

It seems you enjoyed this short book immensely! You definitely piqued my interest and I will consider reading the book in my free time. Your review was fun and enjoyable. Thank you for the optimistic review! It left a smile on my face. :D
Kehinde_211
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-211.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Kehinde_211 »

Life hasn't been the same since the pandemic and I'm certain it took a huge toll on children too. I like this dimension to the story.
marba
Currently Reading: Iron Widow
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marba.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by marba »

This seems like a great book. I looked it up, and the illustrations are beyond cute. Thank you for the review :D
Essy Nma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Penelope Sherbanne by Susan Uriarte

Post by Essy Nma »

Wow, having to read the Covid experience from the perspective of a child is enjoyable. Finding out the cause of his death will be an interesting one. Thanks for the review.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Party Line by Dennis D. Gagnon
2022 Reading Goal: 52
2022 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This seems to be a great book for kids, and adults too. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Elewochi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elewochi.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Elewochi »

Thanks for a splendid review. I love this children's book. It seems to contain the right elements for children, and the storyline was perfectly constructed. Many children will definitely enjoy reading this. Kudos to the author for a job well done.

Return to “Children's Books”