Review of Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening" by JD Schmith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As kids, each of us had our fair share of fears. I was afraid of frogs, still am, although that's a bit embarrassing to admit. In Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith, a young boy, William, has his fears, too.

William sits in his pajamas each evening to watch the lights of the neighborhood houses. He enjoys looking through the window before sleeping. On this particular day, as usual, he sits by the window to observe. However, something strange happens. Thunder and lightning occur, and droplet after droplet starts falling from the sky.

The thunder and lightning scare William to the point of lack of sleep, so he calls his father for support. Dad comes in and gives his son a valuable lesson on thunder and lightning, and William asks questions about what he wants to learn. Dad helps him overcome his fear. What did he tell William?

I enjoyed the honesty William's dad utilized in helping him overcome his fears. He holds his son close and does not tell lies to help his son feel better. That's one thing I admired. William is inquisitive, and his curiosity to learn more about thunder and lightning aided him in overcoming his fears.

I liked the pictures Mr. Schmith included in the work. A particular one of William's dad holding his son in a comforting way was exciting to see. I could feel the love he had for William. The tale reminded me of my childhood days. I enjoyed viewing the sturdy trees, colorful houses, and the lightning up the sky that seemed a bit scary.

Following the lack of grammatical errors, I can attest we have a professionally edited book. As dad helped William overcome his fears, he utilized science that kids will find significantly helpful for academic purposes.

I rate the work 4 out of 4 stars because there wasn't anything to disdain. I recommend it to children facing fears of thunderstorms and lightning.

Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”