Review of Gnomer's Corner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 237
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Seven Words You Never Want to Hear by Denise Wilson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 40%

Review of Gnomer's Corner

Post by diana lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gnomer's Corner" by Deborah Cromer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author Deborah Cromer's book is bursting with all the benefits achieved through gardening. Nutrition, health, nature, and fun are just a few advantages mentioned. Told by King Jerome Gnomer, readers can follow this gnome's narrative from planning, to purchasing, to planting, to harvesting. The final event is a feast for everyone in the kingdom.

Gnomer's Corner consists of 62 pages; the text pages and the photo pages are equally divided. Usually, the first line of the text refers to the accompanying picture. For example, when the king goes to purchase seeds from the elf, he pays with gold stones. In the picture with the gnome, there are three gold rocks on the ground by his feet.

The rhyme scheme is basic couplet AABB etc. The meter is fairly consistent with just a few irregularities. There are some forced syntax rhymes such as this one on page 15, "Winter squash to warm the house up while baking in the oven hot/Filling the kitchen with smells of goodness that can't be bought." At times the text page will end with the first line of a couplet and finish with the second line on the next text page. At other times, the couplet ends on one page, and a new one begins on the next page. I found the second option was the easiest to read aloud.

My favorite parts of the book are the descriptions of the various fruits and vegetables that are mentioned. It is obvious that Cromer is an avid gardener, and her enthusiasm for the whole growing process is evident. Her desire to encourage children to acquire her passion is admirable.

Unfortunately, I have some issues with this book. Due to five of the pages consisting of over 20 lines of poetry on each page, it is hard to imagine how it would appeal to children of any age. The addition of "nighttime naughters," elves, and fairies who make the garden grow magically fast sends a conflicting message to traditional gardeners. My least favorite part was the monotony of hearing about how big and green the leaves were on various plants. I was ready to quit the book by page 45 and cannot image this being a book parents would want to read multiple times to their child.

I think by condensing the text to just a few lines under each picture, the book could be appealing to elementary age students. In its current offering, I cannot recommend it to anyone. I am giving it two stars out of four. One star is awarded to the author for her passion, and one star is awarded for excellent editing.

Gnomer's Corner
View: on Bookshelves
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Gnomer's corner sound like it'll be an interesting read, but it seems it's better suited for age elementary students, so I may not be checking it out. Great review though.
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

I think it's an interesting book but after the flaws in it I don't think I'll give it a go for my little brother. Thanks for the honest review.
Chijindu Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

This book seems to be poorly exited so I won't be reading this book. Thanks for this awesome review
diana lowery

Post by diana lowery »

Ghuddie wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 02:09 Gnomer's corner sound like it'll be an interesting read, but it seems it's better suited for age elementary students, so I may not be checking it out. Great review though.
I appreciate your comments.
diana lowery

Post by diana lowery »

QualityAndQuantity wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 03:02 I think it's an interesting book but after the flaws in it I don't think I'll give it a go for my little brother. Thanks for the honest review.
diana lowery

Post by diana lowery »

Chijindu Ifedigbo wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 03:09 This book seems to be poorly exited so I won't be reading this book. Thanks for this awesome review
Thank you for reading my review.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

Based on the synopsis, I think this might be a great book, especially when the author is very enthusiastic with gardening.. I love books that are written with such passion. But due to the negative side, I'll reconsider before adding this book to my wishlist
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
2022 Reading Goal: 10
2022 Goal Completion: 50%

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I must commend how intriguing your review is but the book has a lot of flaw that's disrupted my interest.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 49%

Post by Raymond N »

I'm not sure what I feel about this book. I really appreciate your honest feedback, thank you.
prabhas_satti
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by prabhas_satti »

Gnomer's corner sound like it'll be an interesting read, but it seems it's better suited for age elementary students, so I may not be checking it out. Great review though.
diana lowery

Post by diana lowery »

Sharon Christanto wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 10:22 Based on the synopsis, I think this might be a great book, especially when the author is very enthusiastic with gardening.. I love books that are written with such passion. But due to the negative side, I'll reconsider before adding this book to my wishlist
Thank you for reading and commenting.
diana lowery

Post by diana lowery »

Asiaa Szn wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 15:17 I must commend how intriguing your review is but the book has a lot of flaw that's disrupted my interest.
diana lowery

Post by diana lowery »

nwachukwu raymond wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 15:32 I'm not sure what I feel about this book. I really appreciate your honest feedback, thank you.
Thank you for reading my review and commenting.
Amiczy Magnus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-magnus.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Amiczy Magnus »

I love gardening. I own a rose bush. So maybe I can get some tips from this book. Otherwise, I’ll just enjoy learning about nutrition and health. Thanks anyway.

Return to “Children's Books”