Review of Rusty

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of Rusty

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rusty" by Valerie Hobbs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We all can't see life in the same way. Just as we differ, so do our perspectives about life differ. Rusty by Valerie Hobbs is one unique book that would make you see your difference as an added advantage to life. Rusty was an entirely different breed from his brothers; this made fitting into the family very difficult for him. He was a crossbreed of a Coyote and a Collie.

Jack was furious when his daughter gave birth to a half-breed. He wanted to get rid of the dog by all possible means, but, luckily for Rusty, his mother, Jackie, intervened. Rusty on his part, tried to do everything to please his Grandpa, Jack. He even started herding sheep, which he hated the most, but Jack still did not change his lackadaisical attitude towards Rusty. Due to the rejection Rusty faced by his Grandpa and his brothers, he set out to find the other part of his family. After a long search in the woods, he eventually finds his other family. First, they rejected him, but his persistent nature made them accept him as one of their own. On a particular day, little Annie got missing, and everyone set out looking for her, but she was found by Rusty, who fought off everything to keep her safe. This was the turning point in Rusty's life. Grab a copy of this book to read about the adventures of Rusty.

The suspense created in this book amazed me. I couldn't get myself to do any other thing till I was done with this book. The plot was realistic despite it being a story told by dogs. The characters in this book were also well-developed and detailed. My favourite character was Luke. Luke was everything a man ought to be. He was caring, loving, and he paid attention even to the slightest things. I loved the type of connection Luke and Jack had. Truly, a dog is a man's best friend if treated well. I'm not a fan of dogs, but this book made me love dogs.

There was nothing to hate about this book. The author did everything right. His diction was straightforward. I was glad to know that Rusty later discovered his purpose. No matter how tough things might be going for you, keep doing what's right; your time will surely come. Rusty's story is not just any kind of story, but it is a story that would make you see your difference as a blessing and not a curse.

I'm rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found only two errors while reading. This shows that it was exceptionally well-edited. I would love to recommend this book to people who love reading children's and motivational books.

Rusty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
persephone marie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-persephone-marie.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by persephone marie »

I adore fiction books with a beautiful message written inside. I’m always looking for books like this to read to my little girl. Praise for the underdog, always.
TAMBA GBORIE
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TAMBA GBORIE »

It's not good to discriminate against anybody because of his or her natural built up. We should learn to accept everybody the way God has made them.
NwakorVian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwakorvian.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by NwakorVian »

Discrimination hurts one's ego and self esteem. I adore this type of books because one can read this to children and adults.
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

I could feel your love towards the book from your review. I am eager to read it after knowing that it had no errors and delivered a meaningful message. Excellent job.
degoodwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-degoodwriter.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by degoodwriter »

Your self-esteem is affected by the way you are treated by your loved ones. Thanks for the review
Judy46
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Post by Judy46 »

When the people you love trust in you would be surprised at how much you can achieve. This book would be nice
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

I loved how resilient Rusty was even when he was being discriminated

Return to “Children's Books”