Review of Mystic of the Midway

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of Mystic of the Midway

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mystic of the Midway" by A. A. Blair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After recovering from a near-fatal fall on the school playground, Effie wants nothing more than to put it all behind and enjoy the summer holidays at her family cottage on Crystal Beach. But, unfortunately, Effie finds that a change of scenery does nothing to alleviate her dizzy spells or headaches. She feels disconnected from her brother and fears that her parents might divorce. If that isn’t worrisome enough, spooky things keep happening—nonsensical whispering that only she can hear and the presence of a strange girl that no one else can see.

Something is going on, and Effie is determined to find out how it all connects to her. With her twin brother, Jimmy, and good friend, Lydia, Effie hopes to unearth information that will help her solve the mystery before it's too late.

Mystic of the Midway by A. A. Blair is a charming book for children about overcoming obstacles and harnessing one’s unique gifts. The novel is told from the third-person perspective, following Stephanie Rose Strawn (Effie) as she navigates the challenges of life after an accident, including the effect that it’s had on her family.

The thing that I loved most about the book was the author’s ability to utilize his own experiences to create an immersive story. Much of the book takes place at an amusement park that existed until the late eighties, and there are photographs of the rides and main attractions. Because of the pictures and the vivid descriptions, the amusement park scenes will come to life for young readers. I felt like I was one of Effie’s friends—walking down the midway with her!

Honestly, the book was flawless, and I can’t think of anything I disliked about it. I can picture my nine-year-old self with blankets over my head and flashlight in hand, devouring the pages of this book long after my bedtime.

The book was edited exceptionally well, and I didn’t find a single error, so I have chosen to give it a rating of four out of four stars. The writing was descriptive, immersive, and ignited my imagination. Mystic of the Midway would appeal to young readers who enjoy mysterious stories with a sprinkle of age-appropriate fright. The book also emphasizes the importance of facing one’s fears with the support of caring friends.

Go and grab a copy; you won't be disappointed!

Mystic of the Midway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

This is a very detailed review so, thank you. This children's novel seems like an interesting read.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This sounds interesting. I liked the idea of the book very much. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

For a children's book, this is something new. This is a great review.
Vidhi Joshi 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vidhi Joshi 1 »

Excellent and well-summarized review, I look forward to reading the book!
Alexander C Schmoock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Great storyline. Lovers of mystery books will definitely love this one. Nice review.
Thembeka Madlala
Currently Reading: Why Doesn't God Speak to Me?
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: laptop

Post by Thembeka Madlala »

This sounds interesting. I look forward to reading the book.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Effie should be recuperating but she is out playing detective! But I suppose it was for the greater good. I'd like to read this one. Thanks for an awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

Thanks for a detailed and informative review. It sure sounds spooky and mysterious.

Return to “Children's Books”