Review of The Tale of Tikky, the Quail

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of The Tale of Tikky, the Quail

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tale of Tikky, the Quail" by Jenny Zhengyu Lin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if there was something you really wanted to do but were unsure if you were ready? If you had support and encouragement from a good friend like Kikee the Jackrabbit, you might do just what Tikky the Quail did.

The Tale of Tikky, the Quail is a children’s story written by Jenny Zhengyu Lin and illustrated by Leo Li. Tikky is a young quail who lives in the Nevada desert. Tikky is unhappy about his short wings. He is unsure if they will allow him to fly.

One day Tikky’s friend Kikee the Jackrabbit comes by to ask if Tikky can go to the Fourth of July parade with her. Tikky’s mother says that Tikky can’t go because he can’t fly across the roads. Kikee leaves, but she returns later with her friend Poppin, a gray squirrel.

Kikee and Poppin convince Tikky to come with them to the parade. Tikky sneaks out, leaving a note for his mother. The three animal friends have a great adventure on their way to the parade.

There was nothing that I disliked about this charming book. The illustrations are colorful and lively. The text is bold and easy to read. The story is appropriate for children of all ages, containing mild peril that is resolved in a positive and imaginative fashion. The book was professionally edited. There were no errors in the text.

The author was born in China but currently resides in Nevada, where the story is set. She is a bilingual educator. The story has text in both English and Chinese. Consequently, young English-speaking readers may be inspired to learn more about the Chinese language and culture when reading this book.

Educators and parents can feel good about sharing this book with the children in their lives. Older kids will be able to read the simple story on their own while young children will enjoy having this fun adventure read to them. I give The Tale of Tikky, the Quail four out of four stars.

The Tale of Tikky, the Quail
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
754David+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 754David+ »

i learnt that we should not limit our selves in what we've not tried and never to be filled with inferiority complex, just like Tikky
Last edited by 754David+ on 20 Dec 2021, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I liked the idea of the book, but the fact that Tikky had left without his mother's permission is annoying. I don't think that I would like it if my children get inspired by this. I liked your review though.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

I like the author's perspective. It is good to have people that would spur and encourage us to strive in our respective areas. Good review.
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Kings1999 »

Excellent Children's story, and very beneficial to young ones. I admire the effort the author put into the creation of this. I love the review BTW, it was magnificent.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Simmons32 »

This sounds like a wonderful book. I would gladly read this one. It sounds like it has a great message to it. I always enjoy stories of accomplishing what you think is impossible. I hope this inspiring story comes up for review. Thanks for sharing your detailed review with us.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
2022 Reading Goal: 40
2022 Goal Completion: 42%

Post by markodim721 »

I like the dilemma Tikky the Quail has about its short wings. I like the adventure that Tikky shows together with his friends Kikee the Jackrabbit and Poppin the squirrel. Reading recommendation.
Lydia Efobi 1
Favorite Book: Love Hypothesis
Currently Reading: Six of Crows
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-efobi-1.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 62%

Post by Lydia Efobi 1 »

I still watch cartoons and I love a good children book. This book sounds fantastic. It's a blend of silly children tricks and adventures. I'm impressed
Mmg8464
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 671
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmg8464.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Mmg8464 »

Sounds like a great adventure story kids will enjoy reading. I just don’t like the part where Tikki left without his mother’s permission. Thanks for your review!
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Sarah Sonbol wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 11:58 I liked the idea of the book, but the fact that Tikky had left without his mother's permission is annoying. I don't think that I would like it if my children get inspired by this. I liked your review though.
I thought the same thing!!
Maina Wilson
Currently Reading:

Post by Maina Wilson »

This sounds like a wonderful book. I would gladly recommend this book to everyone . It has a great message to it. Stories of accomplishing of what is deemed as impossible is inspiring. Thanks for sharing your detailed review with us.
Edwin Adamah

Post by Edwin Adamah »

Great book 👌, this book gives a lot of moral lessons and the question we should ask is should kids go out with their friends despite their parents refusal?
beutiful_pen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beutiful-pen.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak

Post by beutiful_pen »

Great review. This is a precious addition to children bookshelf.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: Thin Places
Bookshelf Size: 124
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 106%

Post by Pandora10 »

This book is adorable, educational and the illustrations are superb. This seems to be Jenny's first book; I certainly hope it will not be the last.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a bilingual children's book that focuses on friendship, adventure, having courage, and keeping a growth mindset. Young readers will enjoy the illustrations and animal characters and parents will love the inclusion of Chinese culture and language. Sounds like a win-win! Thanks for your review! :-)

Return to “Children's Books”