Review of Grandpa Lou, What Can You Do?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of Grandpa Lou, What Can You Do?

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grandpa Lou, What Can You Do?" by Willie Etta Wright.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are grandparents boring and out of touch? Not if they’re like Grandpa Lou, who knows how to have fun even if he has to accommodate his various aches and pains.

Grandpa Lou, What Can You Do? is a fun children’s book written by Willie Etta Wright and illustrated by Anwargart. It tells the story of a little girl named Bella Marie who goes to live with her grandparents when her mother must go away for a while.

Bella Marie’s grandmother finds activities such as cooking to keep her active granddaughter entertained, but one day Grandma Mae must go and help Aunt Flo. Bella Marie calls her friend Kaye, but Kaye and her family are going away on a cruise. Bella Marie is worried that she will be bored without Kaye or Grandma Mae to entertain her, but Grandpa Lou surprises her.

There was nothing that I disliked about this cute rhyming story. I enjoyed the fun friendship that developed between Bella Marie and Grandpa Lou. Although Grandpa Lou had a few handicaps to deal with, he had ways to accommodate these issues so he and Bella Marie could have fun together.

The book was professionally edited. I found no errors in the text. The text was big, bold, and stood out nicely against the white background. The illustrations were charming and colorful. The story had a fun sing-song rhythm to it.

This book is appropriate for children of all ages. The story is simple enough that older kids can learn to read it themselves. Younger kids will enjoy listening to the story. The book encourages kids to view older people respectfully and to have an accommodating attitude towards those who have physical handicaps.

I am pleased to rate Grandpa Lou, What Can You Do? four out of four stars. Parents, grandparents, educators, and anyone else can feel good about sharing this story with the children in their lives.

Grandpa Lou, What Can You Do?
View: on Bookshelves
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

This seems like a really fun and enjoyable book for children. The adventures of grandpa Lou will be really liked by my little brother in my opinion. Thanks for the review.
lipsey1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lipsey1 »

This is a good story for children, grandpa lou was at his best to keep his granddaughter active and entertained, it could even be used as a song.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I am always fascinated by the relationship between grandparents and their grand children. This book sounds really nice and entertaining.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

Grandparents are so smitten with their grandkids. It's nice that Grandpa Lou was able to hold Bella Marie down in the absence of Grandma Mae and Kaye despite being physically handicapped. Thank you for this insightful review.
Christopher H 14
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christopher H 14 »

The looks like a really good children’s book for school assignments and things like that. It looks like it can also teach them a couple of life lessons as well.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Thanks for the great review. I am a younger grandma and the relationship between my grandson and I, is one of the most important relationships in my life. It’s nice to have books out there that value these relationships, and shows as we do get older we can still find ways to have fun.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The friendship between Grandpa Low and the little girl is quite inspiring. I would love to read the book. Good review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

The relationship between children and grandparents is amazing and I love how this book depicted it. Great review

Return to “Children's Books”