Review of Do I need to wear my mask today?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Do I need to wear my mask today?

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Do I need to wear my mask today?" by Yvone Phiri.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yvone Phiri highlights the importance of children’s need to protect themselves against Covid-19 in her book: Do I need to wear my mask today? As adults, we understand the intensity of this deadly virus following the rampant deaths of people who succumb to it daily. Sadly, some of us have lost our loved ones, and we’ve seen nations lose their politicians.

Ayanda and Asaya constantly ask their mum if there is a need to wear masks while outside the house. The duo is bored of staying indoors, so they want to go to the park and have fun. Despite asking the question repeatedly, which may appear as nagging, their mother calmly informs them of Covid-19, the need to wash their hands and wear masks. To read more about what mum tells Ayanda and Asaya, get a copy.

I embraced the colorful illustrations in the book, which will lure kids into wanting to read it. While at it, you can tell the difference between the characters by looking at the pictures. For example, Ayanda’s mask was red while Asaya’s was green. From the pictorials, they appear exactly like that.

I liked how the kids and their mum observed social distance even when visiting close relatives. Anyone can be a carrier of this highly infectious disease, and parents need to enlighten their kids about the dangers of not observing Covid-19 protocols. In unfortunate instances where someone gets infected, it is polite to tell young ones the disease is curable to reduce their level of worry.

The book was not only engaging but also educative. There was no aspect to dislike. The book is professionally edited because I found no grammatical errors or typos. For these reasons, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to children between the ages of 4 and 9 years.

Do I need to wear my mask today?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

I like how informative and timely this book is. Kids can learn and be encouraged to do the right thing. And parents can also take time to confirm and instill further the lessons here. Great review.
Dineo Moya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dineo Moya »

I like how motivating and inspiring this book is.kid can learn what is to do and not do.They will learn to protect themselves while they are around other people.And parents can take timeto teach the more about covid.I love it.
Dineo Moya

Post by Dineo Moya »

I like how motivating and inspiring this book is.kid can learn what to do and not do.They will learn to protect themselves while they are around other people.And parents can take time to teach them more about covid.I love it.
Regyray
Currently Reading:

Post by Regyray »

Some kids are just too stubborn, but reading this to them will definitely do some good to them and everyone around them, truly it's good to teach kids all about it.
Rachel Kubus
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Currently Reading: Soundless
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-kubus.html
Latest Review: Acts of Hope by Martin Elsant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Rachel Kubus »

Sounds like a timely book, but so sad a topic to need to share to children.
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

This is an educative book that i would recommend to my younger brother. I liked the colourful illustrations in the book, which will make kids into wanting to read it. Thanks
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

Its sad that kids need to be taught this but it is what is. I enjoyed your review!
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

The innocence of children can be quite frightening when it escalates to ignorance. A situation where a child asks the same question every day can get a bit annoying pretty quickly but I can sympathize with the context in which this was played out.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

It's a natural inclination for children to be inquisitive. Though, as an adult, having to answer the same questions every day can be daunting. I admire their mum's patience. I would get copies of this informative and educative book for my nephews and nieces.
Felix Naaboigo

Post by Felix Naaboigo »

It's such an educative book to read and it teaches us the safety measures against COVID-19
Ojo Sunday 1
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ojo Sunday 1 »

It is highly imperative to sound a not of warning to all our children the importance of wearing mask to make them perfectly secured against the deadly disease called Covid-19. The book was quite informative and educative.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

This is such a useful book during these trying times. Not only will children learn about the right things to do, but they will also learn why it is necessary. I like the idea of the children asking the same questions repeatedly as let's not kid ourselves, some adults also need re-enforcement from time to time.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This book is really important for kids. Most kids only wear their masks for short periods and they need constant reminder not to take them off. Such stories encourage children to put on their masks and maintain social distancing. I really liked the story and thanks for your informative review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Children's Books”