Review of The Forgotten Ornament

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Review of The Forgotten Ornament

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Forgotten Ornament" by Peggy Harp Lee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Forgotten Ornament by Peggy Harp Lee is a heartwarming children's book. This book comes in handy this season since Christmas is just around the corner.

It's Christmas, and a pine tree is decorated with beautiful ornaments, making it attractive and adding color to the celebration. A family had finished enjoying their delicious Christmas meal and light-hearted moments, and it was time to carefully remove the ornaments and keep them safe for next Christmas. The kids carried the tree out, and, unknown to them, a toy soldier ornament was forgotten. This ornament was left outside and exposed to cold due to the snow. The toy soldier is worried and afraid of what will become of him. Amid his worries and fears, he had an encounter with an angel. A beautiful glow of light overwhelmed him and carried him into the treetops and the darkness. And this is where his adventure begins. What happened next is a mystery that children would love to unravel.

This book is such a fascinating and emotional read. Children would sympathize with the toy soldier while he was pondering all alone and feared for his life. I'm sure that this story would make some children fantasize about what happens to forgotten ornaments and toys.

As a class teacher, I enjoy reading children's books and love recommending them to my pupils. And I always look out for beautiful illustrations that would help paint beautiful pictures in their minds. I'm glad that this book didn't disappoint in that aspect. Children will love the colorful graphics on the book's pages, which will help them follow the storyline easily. For instance, readers would comfortably see the mood of the toy soldier through the drawings, like when he was crying, worried, and excited. The illustrations are top-notch and speak volumes. I love this aspect of the book the most.

Furthermore, I enjoyed the storyline and the message of hope, love, and joy the author passed across. And this is what Christmas depicts; a season of love, giving, sharing, and reunion with family, friends, and loved ones. The author also did so well in her narration of events, and she made it easy for kids to follow the story without any form of ambiguity or confusion.

In conclusion, this is a charming book to read. It is educational and contains moral lessons. Children would also become familiar with the beautiful colors and animals featured in it. The author wrote in a friendly language that fits the target audience. I'd recommend this book to children within the age of 5-9 years. Therefore, The Forgotten Ornament deserves a perfect rating of four out of four stars. There is nothing to fault or dislike in this book, and I didn't encounter any grammatical errors in it either. Kudos to the editorial team for an exceptional job.

The Forgotten Ornament
View: on Bookshelves
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

This seems like a good read for my little brother as he like books filled with adventures and mystery, and so do I. Thanks for the amazing review.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

I enjoy Christmas stories and I'm delighted to read this to my nephew who enjoys mystery books. I hope he learns to do better with his toys, to save them the emotional stress the toy soldier had to pass through.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I love the idea of a toy soldier decoration actually being alive and he then goes on an adventure. A story about hope, love, joy, and reuniting with family is perfect for this time of year. Well, done to the author and reviewer.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a wonderful story, so suitable for the season. It also reminded me of Toy Story :). Thanks for this lovely review!
David Iba
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by David Iba »

Wow this interesting. I love story about christmas, it alway a wonderful season people travel out to meet with their families an love ones.
stamtheo
Favorite Book: The Light Within Me
Currently Reading: Gary the Goat
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by stamtheo »

What a wonderful story especially about this time of year! It is very important for a writer to manage to "send" messages to children's heart. Αfter all, this book seems ideal to teach them about offering and sharing love.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The author's idea and perspective is amazing. The story helps to send a message to the mind of readers, I would love to read the book. Good review.

Return to “Children's Books”