Review of Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jack Watson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-watson.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review of Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

Post by Jack Watson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula is the eighth book in the children’s book series, Diary of a Snoopy Cat. The series has a running theme of animal detectives having adventures and solving mysteries in different countries. Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula adheres with the running theme of the series but also shines as a standalone read. Inca and her fellow animal detectives have a grand adventure in Korea.

Inca’s human owner, Missy, honors an invitation to judge a competition in Korea. She also intends to debut her new cheese. Inca and her friend detectives accompany Missy on her trip. The mystery-solving fun begins when they land at the airport. The animal detectives solve the mystery of the cheese thief. The most thrilling adventure is the detectives’ mission to reunite their guide with his family by crossing into North Korea to reach the guide’s sister and her pet.

The best part about the book is the topics woven into the story. The most heartwarming topic is family. The guide and his sister long to be reunited but cannot until the guides’ sister figures out a way to include her pet in the happy reunion. Family is important because of the love and care that binds every member, including pets. Another exciting topic is the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea. Typically, children’s books tend to steer clear of any political or polarizing topics. R. F. Kristi incorporates the issue of the demilitarized zone in a fun and simplified manner.

I also loved the illustrations in the book. The visual illustrations are colorful, relevant, and enjoyable. For example, the illustration of Inca in Korean clothing showcases Korean culture through their fashion. Children will be able to remember and learn from the illustrations. I think the editing is professional because I did not spot any errors. I did not come across any negative aspects. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula to children between seven and twelve years. I think some of the topics need further explanation from a guardian or educator. For example, the concept and significance of the demilitarized zone might be too complex for children to understand on their own.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”