Review of Gary the Goat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Gary the Goat

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gary the Goat" by Dannielle pickford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Where has one ever seen a goat kept in a garden? We do not, ordinarily, associate a goat with such places. In fact, goats are typically kept away from our homes and similar sensitive areas because of their inability to be reared or domesticated like other pets and the tendency they have to eat whatever comes in sight. However, in this children's book written by Danielle Pickford and illustrated by Ana Djordjevic, we see a goat that wishes to do something quite unconventional. Gary grows a garden.

Gary's garden does not flourish because he eats most of the flowers which grow in it. He eats the garden's marigolds, gardenias and geranium. And soon, his garden is lying desolate and empty. Gary decides to grow other things, but his choices are like fitting square pegs in round holes. He tries to plant a gumboot, a painting, and an engine. He quickly discovers all these cannot grow in a garden. Frustrated and on the verge of giving up, what does Gary do? Find out by getting this enthralling children's book.

Gary the Goat has numerous positive aspects. Firstly, I did not discover a single error in this children's book. While the book is very short in length, I must commend the author for ensuring that it was exceptionally edited. Also, the illustrations and pictures in which the whole story is told are very colourful and bright. They will, no doubt, capture the children's attention and ensure that they remain enthused till they drop this beautiful book about Gary.

Furthermore, there are a lot of positive lessons that can be passed on to children through this story. One such lesson is that we must never limit ourselves in life. A goat would have never conceived the idea of growing a garden, as goats are never found in gardens. This does not stop Gary. Likewise, the norms and status quo must never prevent us from achieving our dreams. Not only this, Gary persevers through his obstacles to fulfil his dream of growing a garden. Do we let the challenges that we face in life derail us from our dreams easily? If yes, this book has a vital lesson for us.

I did not discover a single negative point in this book. Most pages were repeated twice, and I was tempted to think of this as a mistake from the author and editors. However, on reading that this book was meant as part of a speech-sound series for children, I immediately got the point of the repetitions. Consequently, I do not hesitate to give this book a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I could not find any reason not to do so. I recommend this book to all children who wish to achieve their dreams one day, no matter the odds.

Gary the Goat
View: on Bookshelves
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

This sounds like such a cute and wholesome story. I love that the message of the book is that children should not feel limited by social norms and expectations to follow their dreams. I'm also a fan of the adorable book cover art. Thanks for this lovely review!
Fransisca Ekezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fransisca-ekezie.html
Latest Review: Surviving Chaos by Harold Phifer

Post by Fransisca Ekezie »

This story is hilarious in the aspect of a goat trying to grow a garden but it also tells the story of some individuals, where one cannot accomplish something but tries a different route and still struggles, kudos to the author of Gary the goat it's a nice book and Thanks for the review.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

Gary seems like a really interesting guy and I'd definitely like to know more about him, and I might even read it to my little brother? Thanks for the review.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

This sounds like an unusual and charming book. Gary the goat does something unusual. This book presents a wonderful learning opportunity to take children what will and won't grow. It teaches problem-solving skills. This will be a fun book to read.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
stamtheo
Favorite Book: The Light Within Me
Currently Reading: Gary the Goat
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by stamtheo »

This is an imaginative story that makes you smile. I am sure that it will be my student's favourite tale.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

It is not out of place to give up, but it is out of place to remain down. Gary seems to be an interesting character, and I would love to read the book. Good review.

Return to “Children's Books”