Review of Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyjim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Review of Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening

Post by Joyjim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening" by JD Schmith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Thunder and Lightning can be frightening. Although many adults know how beneficial they are, they sometimes give in to fear when lightning strikes. Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by J. D Schmith relates an amusing tale about a little boy who found thunder and lightning scary.

This book has a small size of 25 pages. The narrative flows smoothly, and the grammar is simple enough for kids between 4 to 9 years of age. William is a little boy who had to watch lightning and thunder through his bedroom window. He got scared and cried out in fear. Thankfully, his loving father took the time to explain vital facts about thunder and lightning.

I found this book to be both interesting and educational. William's father provided adequate information that is simple enough for kids to understand. For instance, on page 21, he calmly explained that nature makes rain in order to give plants a drink of water.

I also learned some new things from the book. It is comforting to know that thunder is merely sound. It is not destructive. I also love the colorful and bright illustrations in the book. The illustration of William and his father on page 20 was realistic and expressive. It added meaning to the narrative. It clearly showed how safe William felt in his father's company.

My most favorite part of the book is William's curious disposition and trust in his father. Kids can imitate Williams in asking important questions and trusting their parents. Parents can also learn from the attentiveness of William's father. They can learn to provide simple explanations and personal care for their children.

I have absolutely no dislikes about this book. It was exceptionally well edited. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Kids who fear lightning and thunder can learn vital lessons from this book.

Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

This book sounds great. I like the close, trusting relationship between William and his father. Teaching scientific facts in a children's book using simple language is cool.
Thanks for the intriguing review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

It's always great to learn with fun. Sounds like the illustrations were spot on. Thanks for the review!
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I find the title of this novel very catchy. I think this will be a good read to help those who fear lightening understand what it really is. Great review! :D
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I like how you mentioned that you learned stuff from reading this book yourself. This is proof that older individuals can benefit from reading things targeted for a younger audience as well. Thanks for writing this review, it sounds like a very cute read!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”