Review of Freya, Fynn, and the Fantastic Flute

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Freya, Fynn, and the Fantastic Flute

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Freya, Fynn, and the Fantastic Flute" by Once Upon a Dance.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Freya and Fynn visit their Aunt Gail at her island cottage, they expect to have an exciting adventure with their favorite relative. They also hope to discover the truth behind the mysterious rumors about the spooky attic. It’s not until darkness falls and Fynn finds himself in trouble that Aunt Gail reveals the secret about her beautiful flute and the collection of critters occupying her home. Read Freya, Fynn, and the Fantastic Flute to find out if Freya can save her little brother and enjoy the rest of the family visit.

Once Upon a Dance presents an engaging story for young readers that encourages active participation and creativity. The mother and daughter team uses their skills from the ballet world to add dance movements that go along with each page. I loved how Ballerina Konora invited the children to join her in recreating the plot through movements that mimic the actions of Freya and Fynn. She also encourages young readers to create different motions on their own as they listen to the story or look at the pictures.

Freya and Fynn’s adventure was a delightful tale that highlighted the value of sibling friendships and several other topics that provide an open door for creative participation. I loved the journey to the island on the ferry boat, camping and eating outdoors with Aunt Gail, and learning the secret about the precious flute. The instructions from Ballerina Konora were simple to follow. As the winter months approach, they would make an excellent indoor activity to enjoy with your preschooler, kindergartener, or even first-grader. Reading this book would also help promote the joy of reading to an active toddler who typically has difficulty sitting down to read. There is no need to sit when you can act out the scenes with your new friend Konora.

The beautiful, glossy illustrations were also an appealing part of this fantastic book. Children and adults can take pleasure in the visual aspects of the story and may even want to check out additional titles in the Dance-It-Out! series. In addition, the books are affordable, making it easy to choose more than one title to share with your children, give as gifts, or use in your classroom if you are a teacher.

There was nothing I disliked about this well-edited, beautifully constructed book. Therefore, I gladly give Freya, Fynn, and the Fantastic Flute four out of four stars. As the mother of a preschooler, I would highly recommend this book series to other moms and teachers looking for engaging stories that encourage creativity, physical movement, and valuable lessons.

Freya, Fynn, and the Fantastic Flute
View: on Bookshelves
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

This seems a children book. The book is actually my type bcus of the tale it tells. I appreciate your recommendation.
Signature of Grace.

Return to “Children's Books”