Review of Alpaca In The Backa’ My Car

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Review of Alpaca In The Backa’ My Car

Post by khaulah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alpaca In The Backa’ My Car" by Ben Farber.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A nameless man resting in his car receives a strange request from an unusual animal: an alpaca asking for a ride. Despite the man's reasonable doubts, the alpaca fits perfectly in the automobile. The man is in for a surprise as other friends of the alpaca join the ride too. Absurd things happen throughout the journey that enlightens you about alpacas subtly, all the while making you laugh out loud at the comic situations.

Ben Farber collaborated with illustrator Claudia Sloan to create this story centering around a herd of alpacas. Alpaca In The Backa' My Car is a visually appealing book supported by solid rhyming. One of the best features of the book is its tuneful rhymes, which make it fun to read. The play of language is fascinating, and it may aid in the development of phonemic awareness in children. The text is in an easy-to-read format.

The vibrant and zingy illustrations capture the alpacas adorably. Each alpaca is portrayed differently with a distinctive color of fur, and some wear sunglasses. I particularly enjoyed looking for the details in the pictures, such as in the roadside scenes. The artwork enhances the story beautifully.

Animals like cats, dogs, and rabbits are commonly featured in children's books, but alpacas do not appear often. Most individuals don't get the chance to connect with alpacas or learn about their appealing appearance. Hence, the book raises awareness about alpacas. What made them fun for me was seeing alpacas doing things that they don't usually do. At the end of the book are a few facts about alpacas that are educational.

The book is not without its drawbacks. There is an incident that conveys the wrong message to the children that stealing is okay. It appears to be an everyday occurrence that doesn't deserve condemnation. It makes me hesitant to suggest it to anyone, particularly the target audience who are children. Furthermore, I also found four grammatical errors in the book. Therefore, I give Alpaca In The Backa' My Car 1 out of 4 stars. One more round of editing should be enough. I believe the author has great potential to create a good book for kids that can make them laugh.

Alpaca In The Backa’ My Car
View: on Bookshelves
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

I really like alpacas so this caught my attention. I'm so sure about that theft message in the book but since I'm not a child then I can read this guilt-free. haha. Thank you for your review!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Ivvie Ivanova wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 11:06 I really like alpacas so this caught my attention. I'm so sure about that theft message in the book but since I'm not a child then I can read this guilt-free. haha. Thank you for your review!
Happy reading 😊!
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

When I read to my son and there was something that bothered me, I just changed the words. Unfortunately, when they're able to read the book themselves they figure it out. It does sound like a really fun book despite the stealing and grammar errors.
-Amy
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

asteel18 wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 18:25 When I read to my son and there was something that bothered me, I just changed the words. Unfortunately, when they're able to read the book themselves they figure it out. It does sound like a really fun book despite the stealing and grammar errors.
Yes, it is fun. I had a really hard time rating it.
Yaasombozibe N
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yaasombozibe N »

I find the topic quite interesting. Someone might mistake it for a children's book but the great thing it has is something new. Alapaca instaed of orher common animals like most stories
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Yaasombozibe N wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 21:55 I find the topic quite interesting. Someone might mistake it for a children's book but the great thing it has is something new. Alapaca instaed of orher common animals like most stories
Thanks for stopping by!
Ochommadu 1994
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Ochommadu 1994 »

Alpaca rarely appears in children's books.But this book made it clearly about alpaca.its really fun for both children and adults.
Great book indeed
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Ochommadu 1994 wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 10:49 Alpaca rarely appears in children's books.But this book made it clearly about alpaca.its really fun for both children and adults.
Great book indeed
Thanks for stopping by!
Boaz Dauda
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Boaz Dauda »

This book is really fun for both children and adults, but the word " Alpaca" should be replaced with something else
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Quite an intriguing storyline here. Would definitely love to have this book on my shelves. Great review.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

This sounds like a fun book. I like the title. It promises to deliver lots of laughs. Alpacas are unusual animals, so it will be great for children to learn more about them. I would definitely consider buying this book.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Ekezie1998 wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 12:15 Quite an intriguing storyline here. Would definitely love to have this book on my shelves. Great review.
Thank you! 🙂
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Susan Gibbs wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 13:38 This sounds like a fun book. I like the title. It promises to deliver lots of laughs. Alpacas are unusual animals, so it will be great for children to learn more about them. I would definitely consider buying this book.
Wishing you and your kids a pleasant reading experience :tiphat: .
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is nice that a new animal like an alpaca has found its place in a children's book. I like the educational side of the book.

Return to “Children's Books”