Review of The Bear That Wasn't There

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of The Bear That Wasn't There

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bear That Wasn't There" by Cheryl Charanian.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Megan had a teddy bear named Bear Bear. She loved him dearly. While traveling with her parents from Chicago, Megan lost her teddy at the London Airport. Though she had lost Bear Bear before, he always turned up. This time Megan prayed and hoped her favorite toy in the entire world would return to her. Did Megan’s teddy bear return?

The Bear That Wasn’t There by Cheryl Charanian will fascinate young children. I loved how the author portrayed her illustrations. When the teddy is lost, a series of kids encounter it before losing it again. The pictures of the kids are enhanced in different colors to showcase various human races. That open-mindedness of Cheryl resonated deeply with me.

The author incorporated religion in this brief tale. Being her most treasured toy, Megan prayed that the teddy bear would come back to her. This idea of prayer will teach kids to believe and pray that things work out, especially in times of need.

I enjoyed the brief adventures in the book. The geography part of the work was intriguing and informative. The author included numerous towns, modes of travel, landforms, and monuments from different parts of the world. Children will love to read and see them.

I did not find grammatical errors; thus, I can attest we have an exceptionally well-edited book. As an adult reader, I feel this book will be a learner’s guide for young kids. Additionally, young ones will see the importance of taking good care of the things they cherish because losing them is a lot easier than finding a replacement. Having adored the book’s writing style and the lessons, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Besides, I did not detect anything to dislike. Children between the ages of 3 to 6 years will find this book entertaining and informative.

The Bear That Wasn't There
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Have always been a great fan of children’s books. Great review here.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Chalce
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Chalce »

The intrigue here is the adventure Bear passes through as he changes hands. This seems like a delightful book. Lovely review.
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooke-oakes.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by brooke oakes »

What a sweet story. My heart always goes out to the children in these books. I know how attached they are to their toys. It sounds like a book many children will enjoy.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

It shows that all kids can have toys of the same kind. Great review. I would love to read this book
Poetic Justice
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Wonderful and well detailed review. This book will be very useful to children. I think I'll get this for my younger ones.
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Kings1999 »

Excellent Children's story, and very beneficial to young ones. I admire the effort the author put into the creation of this. I love the review BTW, it was magnificent.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Illustrations make children books simplified and interactive. I enjoyed the plot of the book it seems interesting. Thanks for the review.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

I'm a great fan children's books. And this book sounds interesting. Wonderful review.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

Interesting storyline. The book is entertaining and informative and children would be able to understand the message. Great review.
Amy Fellows
Currently Reading: The Monster in the Hollows
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-fellows.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Amy Fellows »

This sounds like a cute book, and I like that a bit of geography was included. As an educator, I’m always looking for those types of things. Now I need to know, how does it end?

Return to “Children's Books”