Review of The Frights of Fiji

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David Isaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-isaji.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review of The Frights of Fiji

Post by David Isaji »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Frights of Fiji" by Sunayna Prasad.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A young girl, Alyssa McCarthy, loses both of her parents in a car accident. After this tragic incident, she is forced to live with her stern and unsympathetic uncle. Her uncle did not allow her to do most of the things she enjoyed doing; hence, she missed all the love and bliss she experienced when her parents were alive. One day, while in her uncle's kitchen, the raindrops formed letters in the window, passing her a bizarre message. After this incident, she learns about magic and wizards. A wicked sorcerer, Master Beau Duchamp, was after her because their connection would strengthen his powers. Master Beau kidnapped Alyssa and took her to Fiji. What happens to Alyssa? Will she be able to defend herself against Beau Duchamp?

Children have no issue escaping reality and jumping into fantasy realms. The ability to reinterpret their environment in understandable ways is one of nature's gifts to youngsters. Imaginative play boosts their brain activity and promotes intellectual development. Imaginative play that includes magic broadens their range of possibilities. The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad is an adventurous children's book that explores the wonders of a magical world.

The characters in this book helped in driving the plot. They were well crafted and full of life. For instance, while reading this book, it was easy to relate to Alyssa. Like any other kid her age, she wants the little things that bring joy to her life. It was easy to understand both the negative and positive traits of the characters in this book; I mention that to ascertain that the author did a fantastic job in character development. I must say, at her age, it was impressive how Alyssa handled herself in grueling situations.

The world-building in this book was great. The author was descriptive, and it is easy for readers to create clear mental pictures of what is happening in the story. The author had attention to detail, and he touched on topics relevant in today's world. For instance, parents being overprotective to their kids to the extent of depriving them of the things that bring joy to their lives.

There is one thing that displeased me about this book. While reading it, I felt like the author stole some ideas from Harry Potter; hence, making it feel like it lacks originality. Apart from that, the book was exceptionally well-edited; I did not encounter grammatical errors while reading it. With all things considered, I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Children, particularly ones from age seven to thirteen, will enjoy reading this book.

The Frights of Fiji
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”