Review of The White Harlequin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Review of The White Harlequin

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The White Harlequin" by Daphne Tzamali- Yakinthou.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a magical room, a marvelous transformation occurs every midnight on the grand grandfather’s clock. The clock creatures, having comical figures like tiny acrobats, jesters, clowns, and magicians, come to life. One night, Spot, Sugarcandy’s friend, arrives at the harlequin’s house with great news. There is an extraordinary event happening, and everyone is excited about it. The storm-maidens have prepared their loom and will be weaving the deep magic.

However, something unfortunate occurs. Someone broke into the star temple and stole the sibyl’s starlight ring, leading to the disappearance of the brilliance of the stars. The White Harlequin chronicles the mission of Sugarcandy, the harlequin, and Spot, the donkeytaur, to find the villain and recover the ring. Additionally, other amusing characters with important roles join them, as the mission is critical.

Daphne Yakinthou weaves a tale that will capture the imagination of children from the first down to the final page. While everything points towards and works to drive the primary mission, there are other exciting stories within the main one. Both Sugarcandy and Spot reminisce about their childhoods. There are sweet, melodious poems with nice rhymes as well.

I am glad the ending was unexpected but totally satisfying. Several twists and turns make the story more captivating, as there is always something unforeseen. There are valuable lessons to be drawn from the story, including friendship, teamwork, creativity, and much more. Parents, guardians, or educators may have to clarify others. Equally, the silly explanations for some phenomena will amuse children. Most will leave them laughing aloud. What causes nightmares? What about sweet dreams?

I have nothing negative to say about the book. It is fascinating and humorous with lots of magic, and the illustrations are charming. I discovered a few minor errors, primarily because I was keen to spot them. As a result, I rate the book four out of four stars. It is most suitable for children aged eight to twelve years.

The White Harlequin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

A cute story with life lessons and presented humorously. I know my niece will enjoy this book. Thank you for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
MARJORIE obeso
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marjorie-obeso.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by MARJORIE obeso »

a nice story that most of the children love to read and imagine marvelous transformation creatures are those, tiny acrobats, jesters, clowns, and magicians. especially I have 3 nephews growing up who loves reading children's books so I suggest this to them. and most of all patients and listening is key to understand the story, which has good moral lessons to adopt.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I think my niece would love to read this book, very interesting, full of magic and thrillers, thanks for the honest review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

For some time now, I have been teaching children how to develop values of life. I think I will read this to them to make it real. Thanks for the review

Return to “Children's Books”