Review of The Quest For The Phoenix Crown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Review of The Quest For The Phoenix Crown

Post by Amanda Dobson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Quest For The Phoenix Crown" by Xander T. Petersen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A young girl unsure of herself finds out she is the hero in the quest to find the crown stolen from the Elf King in the land of Kalos. Along the way, she meets some new and unlikely friends. Aryn will also find courage, strength and determination she didn’t know she had. Aryn’s quest for the Phoenix crown begins with a book bearing a Phoenix emblem on the front. The Phoenix then takes her to the land of Kalos. She meets her comrades, a fairy named Franzella and a gnome named Gerryditto. Testing their courage, they encounter a changeling named Quetzy and a Pegasus named Minette. Their final test of courage in their quest is aided by a hermit who learns just how much fear really can hold you back, but if you try and have the courage, then all your fears can be conquered. It will take fearless courage from them all to defeat the Dark Elf and return the crown to the rightful owner.

The Quest for the Phoenix Crown had the main hero as a young girl who at the beginning has a “Tomboy” personality but is still very unsure of herself. Aryn is a unique name for the main character but very fitting because if you look it up, the word, among other definitions, means “warrior,” which is what she becomes in her quest. What I liked about this story was it was about a young girl who learns about her true strength is while helping others in need. She sees how fear can be as much of a cage as any physical enclosure can. The Quest for the Phoenix Crown was written to allow the reader to feel that they, too, can accomplish anything if they dare to face their fear. This quest is an easy read for children who are just beginning to read chapter books. The plot is introduced with minor misdirection to keep the reader fully engaged. The book's cover is also straightforward but fits with the story's theme, much like the book that takes Aryn to Kalos is plain with just the emblem of the Phoenix on it, giving the impression that this is the book that will transport you into this adventure.

The main issue I had with this book was the lack of details at times. An example would be the lack of further information about Aryn’s mother. There were also details lacking in the Land of Kalos, leaving the reader to make up their imagery in the story.

This book is designed for young readers who are transitioning from storybooks to chapter books. I would recommend this book to all young readers who want adventure and to meet different magical creatures. Young girls will primarily relate to this book as its main character is female and shows that the hero can be anyone. Xander T. Petersen wrote The Quest for the Phoenix Crown as a beautiful adventure full of fanciful creatures. While Xander T. Petersen wrote this book for younger readers, many would find this a unique adventure-filled book for all.

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4. This rating is due to the exceptional editing done in the book and the reader's ease of reading the book. The vocabulary used allows young transitioning readers to read with ease and enjoy the adventure. I also liked how this book taught life lessons in which the reader learns about courage, determination and facing your fear.

The Quest For The Phoenix Crown
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This sounds like an interesting plot. I'm impressed with the search and adventure in the book.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

This sounds interesting,adventure books are my favorites,nice review.
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

Sounds like the perfect book for a young reader. My baby sister just started reading longer books. I think the storyline and lessons in this book would be perfect for her. Awesome review.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

It appears to be a fun read. Thrilling. Reading a novel that gets into one's inner self is nothing short of liberating. Great review
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I wonder what's Aryn's reaction when found out about the lost crown. Thanks for a wonderful and great review!
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Wow the storyline got me interested. Sounds so cool. Good review.
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

I think I'm gonna read this one. It's been a while since I went for fantasy and I'm craving some adventure. Thank you for your review!
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

An awesome review that is truly honest on the gaps found in the book which will assist the author.

Return to “Children's Books”