Review of Ruth Adventures, Best Friends Forever

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Ruth Adventures, Best Friends Forever

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ruth Adventures, Best Friends Forever" by Nancy Youngdahl.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I removed this book from the shipping box, I was immediately impressed with the way it felt in my hands. Having read countless children's books in my three careers as an educator, a mother, and a grandmother, I knew immediately that this was going to be a good read.

Best Friends Forever is the perfect title for a story about two second-grade girls. The delightful girl on the cover is Ruth. Her new best friend, Sue, is depicted on the back cover. Both girls are shown mid-cartwheel. It is obvious that illustrator Diana Delosh has put much consideration into every small detail of her drawings. From hairstyles to shoe choices, the personalities of these young friends are portrayed perfectly.

Author Nancy Youngdahl incorporates several themes in this short book including starting new adventures, friendship, and acceptance. Ruth has been homeschooled and is apprehensive about attending a public school for the first time. While this scenario is becoming more frequent in today's society, the book could also be relevant for students returning to an in-person classroom after attending virtual school for so long during the pandemic. The story describes how Sue reaches out to Ruth to ease her transition into public school.

My favorite part of the book is the way that diversity is subtly presented. At least three different races are demonstrated by the various characters. Rural living versus urban living is also presented in the same non-biased way. Acceptance of differences is treated as a normal occurrence.

Negatives, although minor, did occur. In one of the scenes, the author mixes up the names of Ruth and Sue. The narrator mentions "Sue's daddy" when it should refer to Ruth's daddy. This caused some confusion to the child that I observed reading the book. Also, the question of Ruth's brother raised some questions. In the illustrations, he does not look to be more than a few years older than Ruth, but the status of his schooling is never mentioned. It simply states that he works on the farm with his father. This book is a sequel, and it is possible that the information is given in the first book of the series, The Ruth Adventures.

I gladly award this book four out of four stars. Other than the two issues I mentioned, there were no errors. It is otherwise well-edited. The correctness of the font size, amount of text per page, and appropriateness of the illustrations contribute to the enjoyment level of this congenial book.

I recommend this book to elementary school teachers, to parents, and to counselors. Both the story and the illustrations could be used to begin conversations about emotions and feelings of uncertainty. The reading level is appropriate for new readers as well as some advanced readers. I look forward to Ruth's next adventure.

Ruth Adventures, Best Friends Forever
View: on Bookshelves
Mariaestrella123
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mariaestrella123 »

This scenario shows us that rich or poor can also be a good friends.Yes ruth here is a rich girl although the story doesn't say anything proff that shes totally came from a rich one family,and sue is the typical poor girl who with a family can only afford to sent her in public school but it really doesn't matter at all as long as their friendship is getting deeper and they understand each other the two will remain friends forever ...i love the story and because now a days finding a true friend who would understand you at your worse is like a rel gems❤️💙
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I loved how the author paid attention to so many details, including the presentation. I loved reading your informative review!
Akintola Ola
Favorite Book: Mere Christianity
Currently Reading: Chosen But Free
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akintola-ola.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Akintola Ola »

Excellent review, Diana. The book seems to take care of even little details which promise to add up to a reader's total enjoyment of it. I just might have read it as soon as I finished reading this beautiful review and introduction to the book but I have a lot on my cart already. :wink:
Last edited by Akintola Ola on 06 Sep 2021, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

It's great to see that the author has subtly let the reader no that diversity is normal. Also, with Sue helping Ruth to transition into public school, the author encourages the children to help others who need it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Mariaestrella123 wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 08:50 This scenario shows us that rich or poor can also be a good friends.Yes ruth here is a rich girl although the story doesn't say anything proff that shes totally came from a rich one family,and sue is the typical poor girl who with a family can only afford to sent her in public school but it really doesn't matter at all as long as their friendship is getting deeper and they understand each other the two will remain friends forever ...i love the story and because now a days finding a true friend who would understand you at your worse is like a rel gems❤️💙
I appreciate your comments.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 11:10 I loved how the author paid attention to so many details, including the presentation. I loved reading your informative review!
Thaks for reading and commenting.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 04:54 It's great to see that the author has subtly let the reader no that diversity is normal. Also, with Sue helping Ruth to transition into public school, the author encourages the children to help others who need it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Thank you so much for your kind words.
addicted reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-addicted-reader.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by addicted reader »

I'm not a fan of children's boob but Best Friends Forever by Nancy Youngdahl sounds like a wonderful one. I'll recommend it my friends who enjoy such books. Thanks for this insightful review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Sounds like a fun book that has a few lessons to impart too. I like the sound of the detailed illustrations. Thank you for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

addicted reader wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 11:27 I'm not a fan of children's boob but Best Friends Forever by Nancy Youngdahl sounds like a wonderful one. I'll recommend it my friends who enjoy such books. Thanks for this insightful review.
Thank you for the comment.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Niens Now wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 16:13 Sounds like a fun book that has a few lessons to impart too. I like the sound of the detailed illustrations. Thank you for a lovely review.
Yes, the illustrations were the best part.
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

I love reading children books. Thanks for your informative review.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I love children’s stories,I find the cover colorful and beautiful,nice review.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

I love how the author subtly made differences and diversity the norm and accepted. This is very important in our society and it is good to teach kids at a young age. Well done on the beautifully written review.

Return to “Children's Books”