Review of Kihei's Odyssey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Review of Kihei's Odyssey

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kihei's Odyssey" by Gary Stephens.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kihei’s Odyssey by Gary Stephens is a children’s book about a lost dog trying to get back home to California. When a poodle-terrier mix named Kihei gets mistakenly loaded into the cargo hold of an airplane, she narrowly escapes from her carrier crate to suddenly realize she’s in Florida. Knowing she must somehow get back home to her owner, Colonel Tom, Kihei sets out for Laguna Beach, hoping to make it back before his annual Christmas dinner. After begging for food and hitching a ride, she ends up traveling to Oklahoma, but she then finds herself running from animal control officers.

When she meets Lola, a poodle-bichon mix, the two team up as travel companions, and they even take a detour to go tailgating at a football stadium. They then proceed to meet a moose in snowy North Dakota and visit a college campus in Nebraska before dodging a tornado that sweeps through a cornfield in Kansas. Next, they stop and visit a roadside carnival, rescue a caged bear, and even ride a floating log down some roaring river rapids in Arizona!

What I enjoyed the most were all the scenes where Kihei embraced her sense of brave determination. She helped rescue a lost surfer, battled a thunderstorm, snuck into a diner, woke a drowsy driver, skateboarded into a pile of fertilizer, hopped onto a freight train, and even traversed some frosty snowdrifts and frozen ponds with grace. Did she ever eventually make it back home safely, and if so, was Colonel Tom willing to accept little Lola too?

This story was 79 pages long, and each of the chapters included a unique blend of character perspectives. Much of the dialogue was spoken by humans, but other quoted lines of speech came from dogs, eagles, beavers, cows, and a juggling bear. I did come across several grammatical and typographical errors while reading, so this title needs to be professionally edited. There were several instances of misplaced or missing punctuation, but the story was otherwise enjoyable overall. There were no other aspects of the book I specifically disliked, aside from the editorial quality.

The story is targeted to readers between the ages of 8 and 12, and I feel this book would be most appropriate for precisely that age range. Kids will giggle at the thought of Kihei scarfing down morsels of food, and they’ll love picturing her scampering down a conveyor belt of stacked suitcases. The author includes several instances of unique terminology that might catch young readers by surprise, but I think most people will probably enjoy unexpectedly coming across words like “delectable,” “bejeebers,” and “vamoose” while reading any animal tale. This plot includes crazy canine antics, dog catchers, big-game hunters, unforgettable sights, memorable characters, and numerous geographical attractions. Several pairs of tiny paws take a nationwide journey that teaches readers many valuable life lessons along the way.

Due to the presence of the errors, I must award the current version of this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars, but I loved all the embedded mentions of friendship, teamwork, optimism, loyalty, charity, adventure, perseverance, and indomitable determination. Some moments were heartwarming while others were dangerous, but the overall plot presented a nice blend of heroic gestures and accomplishments. I would gladly recommend this book to other animal lovers like myself!

Kihei's Odyssey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

I love animal stories too! What an adventure Kihei and Lola must have had and I’m sure hoping they made it back home to California! The book sounds so interesting and fun for not only a child, but an adult like me to read! Enjoyed your review as always, thanks!
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 11:01 I love animal stories too! What an adventure Kihei and Lola must have had and I’m sure hoping they made it back home to California! The book sounds so interesting and fun for not only a child, but an adult like me to read! Enjoyed your review as always, thanks!
These two dogs truly did encounter some new adventure or character or wild activity or weather condition around every corner! This tale would keep kids thoroughly entertained and surprised. I could picture it playing out on a movie screen! Thank you for stopping by to read and comment. 🐕
Barbara Perini
Currently Reading: Il nome della rosa
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-perini.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Barbara Perini »

This seems to be an interesting story, indeed. It's fascinating that it work themes such as friendship and loyalty, among others. I think it's a good book for children to experience, so I also agree that it would be nice to give it a professional editing.
G D H
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Americanah
Currently Reading: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-d-h.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by G D H »

I think Kihei's Odyssey would prove a beautiful piece of literature. The graphic description, informativeness, and catchy phrasing—I love this review !

:tiphat:
AvidBibliophile

Barbara Perini wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 18:15 This seems to be an interesting story, indeed. It's fascinating that it work themes such as friendship and loyalty, among others. I think it's a good book for children to experience, so I also agree that it would be nice to give it a professional editing.
Thank you for your kind words of feedback, and I completely agree! Dogs can be a great source of inspirational and entertaining leadership, friendship, and loyalty for kids, so I think this adventure tale has the great potential to open many minds. 🐩 Thank you for stopping by!
AvidBibliophile

G D H wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 22:29 I think Kihei's Odyssey would prove a beautiful piece of literature. The graphic description, informativeness, and catchy phrasing—I love this review !

:tiphat:
Very nice of you to say! Thank you so much, and I very much enjoyed the colorful lingo and wide array of fun excursions throughout. ⭐️
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

It seems I've found myself the perfect adventure book. I enjoy animal stories too. Thank you for the recommendation.
AvidBibliophile

Chiwelite O wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 12:39 It seems I've found myself the perfect adventure book. I enjoy animal stories too. Thank you for the recommendation.
I hope you get the chance to read and enjoy this one then! I, too, love animal adventure tales, and this spunky storyline kept me thoroughly invested throughout. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment, my friend. 🐶
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I already love Kihei, so I am anxious to discover his adventures! Thank you for another lovely review :)
AvidBibliophile

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 11:12 I already love Kihei, so I am anxious to discover his adventures! Thank you for another lovely review :)
Such a sweet and spunky little dog! Thank you for the appreciated words of support, as always. ☺️💙
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

A lovely review this is. This definitely looks like a book that I’d love to read just by reading your review👏🏽
AvidBibliophile

Alheotuci wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 13:28 A lovely review this is. This definitely looks like a book that I’d love to read just by reading your review👏🏽
Glad to hear it! Thanks so much, and I hope you get the chance to enjoy this one. 📖
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book seems way too cute to resist. I would love to read about Kihei and Lola's adventures. That Colonel Tom better take Lola in or I'll come after him! Thanks for the beautiful review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I love books about adventurous journeys with animal characters! :) But really sorry about the editing issues. Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Children's Books”