Review of The Merriest, The Beariest Bears

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Review of The Merriest, The Beariest Bears

Post by Ldpuff »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Merriest, The Beariest Bears" by Doreen M. Atkinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson was a delightful book for young children. The bears in the story each had different interests and hobbies that the reader learned about. Momma bear liked to cook and sew while Perry liked to play soccer in the park. The reader also read about different daily activities that the bears did, such as going to school and painting outdoor furniture. At the conclusion of the story, the reader will find pages filled with activities for children to do. Children have the opportunity to color, complete unfinished pictures, and write their own captions for pictures of the bears.

I had two favorite parts in this book. To start, the illustrations were cute and kid friendly! They were brightly colored and simple, but they matched whatever words were on each page. The second thing that I loved was the activity portion of the book. How clever of the author to include something so unique! I know my five year old enjoyed this section more than he did the actual book. As a teacher, I can really appreciate the opportunity for kids to create their own story as well as get creative with drawing and coloring.

My least favorite part of this book was the author’s choice to capitalize each beginning letter of the lines. This was not only done when the line was a new sentence, but it was also done in the middle of sentences. I found it to be odd and if we are trying to teach children the proper rules of capitalization, this pattern would be confusing.

I rate this book four out of four stars. Although I did not like the choice to use the capital letters so frequently, it was clearly a style choice and not done in error. Therefore, I did not deduct a star because I found no other errors of any type throughout the book. The author did a fine job of writing a sweet book for children with a fun twist at the end.

I would recommend this book to any parent or teacher! I read the book to my five year old and he quite enjoyed it. It is definitely a book more suited for young elementary-aged students rather than older students. As I am both a teacher and a parent, I would have read this book when I taught kindergarten students. I found myself reminded of The Berenstain Bears while I was reading. What a nice reminder of childhood that was.

The Merriest, The Beariest Bears
View: on Bookshelves
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

When I saw the title and the cover image, I was also reminded of The Berenstain Bears. And I think it's great that there a fun activities for kids to complete at the end of the story.

Thank you for an excellent review!
🐻 :techie-studyingbrown:

"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

Reminds of my childhood when I used to read Goldilocks stories. Would love to relive that. Lovely review.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I think the reviewer has done so well, by reminding the author of how important capitalization rule is in writing most especially for a children's book like this. Nice review!
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Great Review! I do think that the capitalization can get quite annoying. Regardless, I do think this is a charming read.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

This one looks like a great book for kids. Thanks for your enjoyable review.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I'm not a teacher, but I love to recommend books for reluctant readers. This book is perfect for keeping the kids engaged in various class activities. Thanks for your enthusiast review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Ramra
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Ramra »

Sounds like the perfect book to get my kid on this reading path..I need to get this one for my lil bear 🐻
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This book is so cute! I love how the book is supposed to help kids get to known about basic things in life.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

An interactive children's book! You made my day. The illustrations and activities are wonderful, and the story couldn't have been better. Kudos to you for writing such an honest review.
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Wonderful and well detailed review. This book will be very useful to children. I think I'll get this for my younger ones.
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

Thanks for a honest and well detailed review. I love this children's book. It seems to contain the right elements for children, and the storyline was perfectly constructed. Many children will definitely enjoy reading this. Kudos to the author for a job well done.
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

Thanks for a splendid review. I love this children's book. It seems to contain the right elements for children, and the storyline was perfectly constructed. Many children will definitely enjoy reading this. Kudos to the author for a job well done.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

A lovely book that sparks creativity in children and gives them lessons to live by. It impressive to see a portion of the book is dedicated to carry the reader and children along. Illustrations help with making the book simplified and interactive. Thank you for the detailed review
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

It seems like a wonderful book for children. With all the colourful illustrations children will definitely love to read this book. Great review.

Return to “Children's Books”