Review of Mystery Behind the Doors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Review of Mystery Behind the Doors

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mystery Behind the Doors" by Demetra Yuvanu.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One night, ten-year-old Haris has a dream about a beautiful and kind woman who tells him about three doors that will appear to him and a gift he will receive. In the morning, Haris decides to name the woman BeJoWiLo, which stands for beautiful, joyful, wise, and love. He then meets up with his friends Alex and Stefan. While riding their bikes on a trail through the woods, they discover three floating doors, and Haris tells Alex and Stefan about his dream and BeJoWiLo. They decide to investigate what is behind the doors. What do the boys find? And what is the gift they receive?

Demetra Yuvanu’s Mysery Behind the Doors is a fun and imaginative book for 8-12 year olds. The story encourages creativity and imagination by having Haris, Alex, and Stefan make up their own games while riding around town and exploring the woods. The book teaches many important lessons about perseverance, hard work, believing in yourself, and focusing on the good instead of the bad.

By eight years old, children start to like more mystery and intrigue in their stories, and Mystery Behind the Doors provides that. The reader doesn’t experience Haris’s dream with him, instead we learn details of the dream when Haris tells them to Alex and Stefan.

My favorite thing about this book was the realistic dialogue. The ten-year-old characters matched how real children their age would talk. The vocabulary of the rest of the story also works for 8-12 year olds, although some words would be new to younger readers, like exquisite and nebulous.

The illustrations by Florence Barrington were colorful and well done. There weren’t a lot of them, but there were some full-page illustrations and some smaller ones among the text. One detail that I really appreciated is that each boy’s shirt has their initial on it to identify them.

Unfortunately, I did find ten editing mistakes, which was the only thing I disliked. They were mostly punctuation errors, but there were also a few missing spaces after periods or quotation marks. There were also some odd phrases, like “confusion in his mind.”

Overall, this was a fun book to read, and I recommend it to any children who like to use their imagination and go on adventures. Because of the editing mistakes, I am rating it 3 out of 4 stars.

Mystery Behind the Doors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

The title captured my attention. I would love to know the mystery behind the doors. Thanks for the review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Sounds fun. I guess I’ll pick a copy for my junior cousins. Thank you for the wonderful review.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Mbenma Esther 080 wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 23:55 The title captured my attention. I would love to know the mystery behind the doors. Thanks for the review.
Edit_or wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 02:16 Sounds fun. I guess I’ll pick a copy for my junior cousins. Thank you for the wonderful review.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Ayomid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomid.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter

Post by Ayomid »

The realistic dialogue and colorful illustrations is a good one. Thanks for your recommendation.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. This sounds like an educational book for children and preteens. I wonder what Haris, Alex, and Stefan will find behind the three mysterious doors.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Ayomid wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 15:31 The realistic dialogue and colorful illustrations is a good one. Thanks for your recommendation.
Sou Hi wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 01:11 Thanks for your interesting review. This sounds like an educational book for children and preteens. I wonder what Haris, Alex, and Stefan will find behind the three mysterious doors.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Sou Hi wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 01:11 Thanks for your interesting review. This sounds like an educational book for children and preteens. I wonder what Haris, Alex, and Stefan will find behind the three mysterious doors.
I would like to know as well. It's true kids start being curious at a very tender age. Nice job on the review, Mbrooks!

Return to “Children's Books”