Review of The day the zoo went quiet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of The day the zoo went quiet

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The day the zoo went quiet" by Mony Doyle and Glen Doyle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When a global pandemic occurs, there is no aspect of life it will not affect, including the animals in a zoo. Are you a parent that loves reading bedtime stories to children? Do you like children’s stories? If yes, then, The Day The Zoo Went Quiet by Mony Doyle and Glen Doyle is the right children’s book ideally suited for you. The book explores the themes of community, empathy, and the coronavirus pandemic.

The animals in the zoo have always found the human visitors to the zoo as intruders. They are problematic beings who do not respect the wishes of the animals. Then one day, no humans came to the zoo as they stopped coming. The initial joy of the lion, elephant, monkey, and panda soon turned to boredom and later to missing the humans who have stopped coming. Then, they learned of a new animal called corona that kept the humans all away and felt extreme dislike for it. Will the humans ever return to the zoo? Read this book to find out.

The authors adapted a bedtime story they told to their children into an exciting book for other children to enjoy. With the use of stunning images that are big and lifelike, the story came to life. The tone of the animals’ conversation was playful and child-friendly. A shared experience by all humans became an event that animals also felt its impact.

The storyline is incredible, and the takeaways are easy to understand. Another lesson for the kids is the beauty of appreciation. For instance, the animals felt that the humans were disturbing their peace until the unforeseen incident occurred. Sometimes, you do not know the value of a thing until you lose it. The monkey is the character I liked the most. It was witty and had a sense of humor. The elephant was characterized as recalling many of the human faces that came by, which was a great attribute.

I found nothing to dislike about this book. The book was exceptionally edited, as I didn’t find any errors. I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars because of its simple plot, great storytelling, and apt presentation. Also, I must commend the illustrator, Ekaterina Alkushina, for creating a colorful and detailed illustration of the animals and humans in the book. Based on my graphic design background, I can sincerely say that the images had a tremendous three-dimensional effect, making them more realistic.

On a final note, I would recommend the book to children between the ages of three to ten who love bedtime stories. Also, parents and guardians who wish to impart some knowledge about the coronavirus pandemic playfully can make use of this book.

The day the zoo went quiet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chetna_Kharbanda
Currently Reading: Unsound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chetna-123.html
Latest Review: "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?" by Otto E. Stallworth Jr. MD MBA

Post by Chetna_Kharbanda »

Thanks for the review. I'm always fascinated by simple stories and this one looks just awesome. I loved the illustrations. Hopefully, the read must be equally amazing.
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

Wow I’ve never seen children’s books that touches on the coronavirus pandemic like this. What a great way for children to learn about the pandemic and animals at once
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The review has aptly described how author has put forward his thoughts on an impact of covid over animals and specially zoos.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

This book sounds really interesting especially since it broaches the subject of the global pandemic. It shows how the pandemic has affected the zoos. Thank you for the great review. I would have this book in my collection for the children in child care center I work at.

Return to “Children's Books”