Review of King Fazool

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of King Fazool

Post by jeanmtdb »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "King Fazool" by Dr. David Florence.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the fictitious country of Ipy Gipy, the imaginary King was ecstatic with his devoted subjects. He decided to begin giving them free food every day. Soon more and more people came for the free food until the horse-drawn carts could not keep up with the demand for food and the King could not find enough food for the people. The people became angry and demanding. The King called for Ethereal Cabutle, the Great Sage of Agolop. He asked the Great Sage to tell him what he should do. Ethereal Cabutle told the king that he should stop feeding the people and teach them how to grow food for themselves. What will the King do?

King Fazool, written by Dr. David Florence, is a fantastic children’s book that teaches a lesson children and adults need to learn. The king wanted to reward his subjects for doing nothing. The people didn’t earn a reward. More and more people showed up for the free bounty not caring who had to work for it or who paid for it. The food had no real value to the people because they didn’t know what it cost. The people would appreciate the food more if they grew it themselves. They would see the value and be willing to share. Earning rewards also raises self-esteem and instills pride in one's self.

I read the physical book and was thoroughly enchanted. Dr. Florence used simple language to convey such a complex concept and did it admirably. The large font is easy to see and can be read very quickly. The names of the people and places are so playful and roll off the tongue with a smile. The bright colors are appealing and can keep a child’s interest. The illustrations are fun. Most illustrations cover two pages creating an opportunity for discussion. Jesse Maloney’s illustrations are outstanding.

There is nothing about this book that I didn’t like and nothing I would change. My only disappointment is that the author didn’t begin his literary career sooner. The six children’s books written by Dr. Florence just aren’t enough.

I am thrilled to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is the perfect lesson for children from 2 years of age. Many older children through seniors can benefit from the lessons in this book. I know I will enjoy reading it again and again to my grandchildren.

King Fazool
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

Since adults can also learn from the book, I will like to read the book. Thanks for your review
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

This is a book that I would like to read. Not only that I love books for children that teach lessons. These are the kind of books that are perfect for children.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

A story of a mad king, but soners when he realizes the reality, the lines from review are heart melting. I will read this book.
Esther Mayonde
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Esther Mayonde »

A story of a mad king, but soners when he realizes the reality, the lines from review are heart melting. I will read this book.

Return to “Children's Books”