Review of My ABC "Chair" Book

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Review of My ABC "Chair" Book

Post by Laura Lee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My ABC "Chair" Book" by Barbara H. Hartsfield.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My ABC “Chair” Book, by Barbara Hartsfield, is unquestionably one of the most captivating alphabet books I have ever read. Hartsfield has collected miniature chairs for over 30 years. In 2008, Hartsfield established a Guinness World Record with her collection of 3,000 miniature chairs. In 2009, she opened a museum to display her fascinating collection in Stone Mountain, Georgia. Her museum, the Collectible & Antique Chair Gallery, has received recognition on both national and international levels. My ABC “Chair” Book has a dual purpose. Not only does it teach children the alphabet in a delightful way, but it also spreads awareness of her miniature chair museum.

There were many differing elements I really enjoyed about this charming book. First and foremost is the multitude of beautiful color photographs on every page taken by Hartsfield herself. This was my favorite part of the entire book. The sheer variety of miniature chairs is impressive. One of the photos, captioned “Earrings,” shows two chairs that are earring holders. Hanging from these chairs are earrings that are themselves chairs! It is a delightfully captivating continuation of the theme of the book.

Knowing there are thousands more different chairs in the museum is truly astonishing. I also appreciated that the first letter of every word in the alphabet was a different color of font, emphasizing to a young child just what that letter looks like. There was truly nothing I disliked about the book.

Because this is an alphabet book, there really is no text needed beyond the words that are already there. However, on a personal level, I would have enjoyed seeing more attention and effort going into the text itself. Sure, the word “Apple” is all you need. But it would be more interesting to read it in a complete sentence: “A is for Apple.” It would be even more charming to give a bit of a definition with each word: “A is for Apple, juicy and sweet. B is for Birdhouse, a cozy, wee home.” “C is for clock, by which we tell time,” and so forth. However, that is a personal preference and certainly is not necessary in order to enjoy the book as it is written.

I thoroughly enjoyed this original, one-of-a-kind alphabet book. Anyone who appreciates miniatures or who has young children would also like this book. I am delighted to give My ABC “Chair” Book a well-deserved four out of four stars. It is truly the most unique alphabet book I have ever read.

My ABC "Chair" Book
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The chair book looks like a puzzle story after reading this review. It must be cheerful reading such books. Thank you for review.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by MoeBrown »

This review prompted my online search for her chair museum. It also seems like a more intriguing book, thanks to the pictures. Also, I do prefer the 'A is for apple' over just having the word, but it still does seem like a good book.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Thanks for the honest review. But I think the book is perfect just the way it is, short and precise. There is no need to add the "A for apple" stuff and the meanings. Although that is my personal opinion.

Return to “Children's Books”