Review of Planet Juno

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of Planet Juno

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Planet Juno" by David Serra.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most children love imaginary and unusual stories and picture books. I believe many would agree that fantasy and whimsical stories stimulate children's imagination. That stimulation is essential for children at an early age. Planet Juno by David Serra is a children's picture book depicting the unusual adventure of a space explorer.

In the center of the plot is the explorer who lands on the unusual planet Juno. After landing, the explorer begins to explore this strange planet. The planet is very peculiar, with a multitude of bizarre creatures. The reader further learns what the explorer finds on the planet and what adventures await him.

In this very short picture book, I like the illustrations the most. They are hand-drawn and appear to have been drawn by a child. I almost always prefer hand-drawn illustrations over digital ones because they add a special authenticity to the story. In addition, the concept of the story is very unusual and has potential, but it is not well executed.

Unfortunately, this picture book has more negative than positive aspects. Primarily, it is very short. The story seems unfinished, and I think the author should have expanded the plot. In addition, I would like to emphasize that the story does not make much sense. I believe this is because of its length and undeveloped plot. Moreover, no meaningful message is conveyed to the children. Also, the book has some minor grammatical errors that I think could have been avoided.

All things considered, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The rating is slightly lower due to the reasons already mentioned. The concept of the book is interesting, but it is not adequately executed. I would recommend this book primarily to parents of young children because I think it could be a good bedtime story. Also, this picture book would be suitable for children who are just starting to read because it is very simple and short.

Planet Juno
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Children's Books”