Review of If I Were You And You Were Me…

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Review of If I Were You And You Were Me…

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If I Were You And You Were Me…" by Angie B.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If I Were You And You Were Me… We are God's Creation! by Angie B is a children's book that aims at some of the most important lessons the world will greatly benefit from greatly: understanding the love of one's self and the love of one's neighbors, regardless of social status, age, and race.

In summary, the story starts with an unnamed character, a little black girl, and follows her throughout as she introduces us to her loving family, her school, her church, and how she works to make herself smarter. On the other hand, we are also introduced to the naysayers who are never satisfied with her and criticize her because of her skin color and social status. This brave girl then proceeds to present a quick lecture on how we are all the same and created by God. She also makes one wish. "Today I am me and you are you." What if I were you and you were me?

The thought-provoking message here is certainly what stands out the most from this book, as I truly believe it will help make the world a better place, but the delivery and employing a little girl that I could easily connect with while passing this message was outstanding. The author favors a straightforward approach here, passing her lessons in as few words as possible. So, at twenty-five pages in length, this will be an easy read for children, including those who are just learning how to read.

The book is heavy on colorful illustrations that will not only serve to grasp children's attention but also present a detailed narration of the events even without the words on the pages. From the powerful illustration on the book cover that shows a dark-skinned girl looking in a mirror and seeing a light-skinned girl to the intriguing illustration of God's creation that shows that we all were formed in the same way, Angie B has made a wonderful statement with this book.

If I Were You And You Were Me… We are God's Creation! is an exceptionally well-edited book since I did not find any grammatical or typographical errors while reading. I also cannot think of anything that I dislike about this book. The message is clear and concisely presented, and the book is a well-executed read overall. Therefore, the book deserves the maximum rating of four out of four stars. Children between the ages of three and nine will benefit from this book.

If I Were You And You Were Me…
View: on Bookshelves
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

It's great to get kids thinking about more abstract concepts rather than just unicorns and fairies; this looks like an excellent book to provide that intellectual stimulus kids need to grow. Great review!
Anil G
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

It sounds like an amazing book for children, as they learn from the world and differentiate between human's base on their social status and race and this book will provide a positive light on them. You wrote a great review!
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Samuel NYANDWI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Samuel NYANDWI »

This book is giving moral lesson to kids and can make them to come up with thoughtful mind. You created great book!!!
Mandla Maseko
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mandla Maseko »

It's a great book it keeps kids thinking
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by MoeBrown »

I could see my little sister reading this and repeating this everywhere she would go, 'what if I were you and you were me?' This book seems like such a great children's book with such a great message. Kudos to the author and thanks for the review.
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

Such a simple premise with a big message to tell. Perfect for kids to read and learn about the differences in society.
MELISSA2985
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MELISSA2985 »

I love the factors that the writer put out there that no matter the color, race or any difference that we're all the same and God made us differently but we're still all human.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

This book teaches children the immense value of equality, which is the most fundamental and important value in our society. The story-like way it uses to teach children this also very commendable. And the review was awesome too.

Return to “Children's Books”