Review of Sam the Sneaker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Review of Sam the Sneaker

Post by Ldpuff »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sam the Sneaker" by Susan I Buchalter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sam the Sneaker by Susan I Buchalter was an adorable story about twin sneakers, Sid and Sam. The story began when these twins were young shoes playing in the storage room of the store. As the story continued, the shoes grew to be a size six and went on the window display to be sold. A young boy named Ben came into the store shopping for shoes and bought the twin sneakers. Unbeknownst to Ben, one of the sneakers was not happy to be bought. Sid the sneaker was the perfect shoe and did his best to help Ben. Sam was a naughty shoe who sabotaged Ben whenever he could. Towards the end of the story, Sam had a big moment where he had to choose whether or not to be a good sneaker once and for all. If he continued to act rotten, Ben would be in big trouble. What choice did he make?

What I liked the most about this story was the character development and the life lessons depicted plainly enough for young children to understand. Sam learned the importance of being selfless and appreciating what you have. He realized he was missing out on having a good life while he was busy pouting about things he wished were different. I appreciated the fact that his twin, Sid, never gave up on him. Instead, Sid encouraged Sam to make better choices and focus on the good things in his life.

There was nothing that I disliked about this novel. The illustrations were appropriate for the intended age group and matched the text provided on the pages. The author did a great job at creating a well-rounded story for children.

I rate Sam the Sneaker three out of four stars. I found very few grammatical errors within the text as I read the story and the few that I did find did not take anything away from my reading experience.

I would recommend this book for any parent who has elementary aged children. The content of this book is appropriate for that age group and the story is interesting enough to hold their attention. I would also recommend this book to educators or people in the social services line of work intending to teach social and emotional skills to children. This book would be a great starting point for a discussion on character building. I previously taught children who were in kindergarten through second grade and I certainly would have used this book within my lessons.

Sam the Sneaker
View: on Bookshelves
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I am sure kids would find this book very intriguing. Twin shoes? Why not? Thanks for the amazing review and recommendation.
Ldpuff

Post by Ldpuff »

Saint Bruno wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 17:10 I am sure kids would find this book very intriguing. Twin shoes? Why not? Thanks for the amazing review and recommendation.
Thanks for the comment!
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

Bit of an unusual children's read. I wonder what option Sam has taken at the end.I have enjoyed your review!
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Great Review! I found myself intrigued by the book presented. I'm unsure if I would pick it up, but I will check it out later.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like the lessons that are portrayed in the book as well. It certainly sounds like a wonderful book for children. Excellent review!
Ldpuff

Post by Ldpuff »

NISSE wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 10:11 Bit of an unusual children's read. I wonder what option Sam has taken at the end.I have enjoyed your review!
Thanks! It was unique, that is for sure.
Ldpuff

Post by Ldpuff »

Prisallen wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:18 I like the lessons that are portrayed in the book as well. It certainly sounds like a wonderful book for children. Excellent review!
Thanks! I agree.
Ldpuff

Post by Ldpuff »

Wesusa wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 11:46 Great Review! I found myself intrigued by the book presented. I'm unsure if I would pick it up, but I will check it out later.
I hope you give it a chance, I enjoyed it. Cute book for kids.
Chriswell Mnisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Chriswell Mnisi »

I like the lessons that are portrayed in the book as well. It certainly sounds like a wonderful book for children. Excellent review!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This sounds like a lovely and creative story to teach children important life lessons and skills. I would have never thought about writing a storybook about talking sneakers.

Thank you for another excellent review.
👟😀
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Ldpuff

Post by Ldpuff »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 22:33 This sounds like a lovely and creative story to teach children important life lessons and skills. I would have never thought about writing a storybook about talking sneakers.

Thank you for another excellent review.
👟😀
Right? Slightly silly, but it worked!
Ldpuff

Post by Ldpuff »

Chriswell Mnisi wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 18:46 I like the lessons that are portrayed in the book as well. It certainly sounds like a wonderful book for children. Excellent review!
Thanks! It was.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it's great that the book teaches children important life lessons in a way that they can understand. Great review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would read this story to my sneakers, it seems like an educational one :). Lovely review!

Return to “Children's Books”