Review of The Fire Trail

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of The Fire Trail

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fire Trail" by Chris Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fire Trail by Chris Johnson is an enjoyable children’s book starring Andy Morgan. Andy is a thirteen-year-old boy who goes to school at Cardigan High School. He is an active young boy who plays rugby and enjoys exercising. His team had been performing poorly in tournaments for several years, and they were eager for a win. Determined to break their losing streak, Andy began exercising more to prepare for an upcoming rugby tournament. On one fateful day, as he was jogging down a familiar trail in the nearby national park, he stumbled upon a talking kangaroo. The encounter with the kangaroo left him baffled and in disbelief. Battle lines were drawn between ferals and the natives (kangaroo’s camp), and a war was on the horizon. Convinced they were going to lose, the talking kangaroo coerced Andy to join the native’s team.

At 84 pages, the book is a quick read that is partitioned into 12 brief chapters. The story is narrated mainly from the first-person point of view. The dialogue between Andy and other characters added a diverse and enjoyable element which enhanced my reading experience.

There are several positive aspects to this book. The book teaches readers about the importance of obedience and the consequences of disobedience. Andy and his friend Alisha threw caution to the wind and went deep into the bushes, despite being cautioned by their parents. In their bush adventure, they lost their bikes, lost track of time, and went back home with bruises. Their parents punished them accordingly and taught them a few lessons. The book contains several valuable lessons that can help build or shape young reader’s characters positively: lessons about honesty, integrity, the importance of hard work, and teamwork.

I did not come across any grammatical or typographical errors. The editing of the book was impeccable.

There was nothing to dislike about The Fire Trail. The language used is easy to comprehend, and the storyline is relatable. The book is an easy read, and the characters undertake fun character-building adventures. For the reasons stated above, I am awarding the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

The book is suitable for children ten years and older. Readers below the age of ten can also enjoy it, provided that an elder reads it aloud for them. Young readers who enjoy adventures, rugby, or any other sporting activities will delight in this book.

The Fire Trail
View: on Bookshelves
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

It got me at the part of the talking kangaroo. I think children would love this book. The lesson of obedience is very key in every growing child.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

The talking kangaroo part really got me! How absurd an event! Would be good for a light read. Thank you for such a good review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I love the part about the kangaroo. I think every child needs to learn obedience, and this book seems like a fun way of doing it. Thanks for the review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would love to find out what a talking kangaroo has to say about rugby! It seems like a catchy book that might be very appealing to young boys. And it might even make them more interested in sports, which is admirable. Thank you for this amazing review!
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

You got me at that part about the talking kangaroo. I love everything that goes out of the ordinary. Kids are gonna love that, and learn about obedience and disobedience while at it. Thank you for your wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Excellent Review! I especially liked your use of vocabulary, it made it feel much more professional as a whole.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Currently Reading:

Eddy E wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 09:16 It got me at the part of the talking kangaroo. I think children would love this book. The lesson of obedience is very key in every growing child.
Trust me when I say this book is interesting! The talking kangaroo was only a starter.
Currently Reading:

Eddy E wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 09:16 It got me at the part of the talking kangaroo. I think children would love this book. The lesson of obedience is very key in every growing child.
It will certainly keep the kids turning the pages. It is very much interesting.
Currently Reading:

Reader Chavez wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 20:49 I love the part about the kangaroo. I think every child needs to learn obedience, and this book seems like a fun way of doing it. Thanks for the review!
The talking kangaroo also fascinated me.
Thanks for stopping by!
Currently Reading:

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 06:06 I would love to find out what a talking kangaroo has to say about rugby! It seems like a catchy book that might be very appealing to young boys. And it might even make them more interested in sports, which is admirable. Thank you for this amazing review!
My lips are sealed :lol2: :lol2: but I can promise you that the book is worth reading.
Currently Reading:

C Janet wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 11:34 You got me at that part about the talking kangaroo. I love everything that goes out of the ordinary. Kids are gonna love that, and learn about obedience and disobedience while at it. Thank you for your wonderful review!
The talking kangaroo adds a fun and surprising element to the story. It will definitely be a hit with the young readers.
Currently Reading:

Wesusa wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:42 Excellent Review! I especially liked your use of vocabulary, it made it feel much more professional as a whole.
Thank you very much Wesusa. You are so kind!
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This sounds like an amazing Australian adventure because of the talking kangaroo. I wonder what ever happens with the two opposing animal camps. It's good that kids can learn important life lessons from this story.

Thank you for your informative review.
🦘 😉
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Children's Books”