Review of Just Different

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of Just Different

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just Different" by nanpeterson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Just Different is a children’s story written by Nancy Peterson and illustrated by Jonathan Beistline. This beautifully illustrated book tells the story of a family of Canada geese. The goose parents run their family with the precision of a military battalion. They are proud to be part of the First Gaggle. The father goose is known as The General, and the mother goose is his second in command.

A few weeks after they hatch, the goslings learn about sandhill cranes, whom their mother says are the silliest birds ever. The sandhill cranes seem to have no rhyme or reason for what they do.

When it is time to migrate south, the geese face danger from hunters. One of the goslings, Willie, is hit by a gunshot that damages his flight feathers. His father makes the decision that Willie must stay behind and wait for another flock to migrate with. When it looks as if Willie’s luck has run out, he gets help from an unexpected source.

Although this is a fictional story, it gives young readers real-world information about Canada geese and the V formation that they fly in as well as about the dangers they face. Readers also learn about sandhill cranes and the fact that their behavior is not as haphazard as it might initially seem.

This story teaches young readers about tolerance of those who are different from ourselves. Willie learns that the sandhill cranes are kind and smart, and he teaches his father about them, opening new lines of communication between the two species.

The beautiful ink illustrations are a perfect accompaniment to the story. The book is best suited to kids in the middle-grade range and above due to the peril that Willie faces when he is shot. Although he suffers no lasting harm, these scenes might be unsettling to very young kids.

I believe that the book is professionally edited. I found only one minor error in the text. There was nothing that I disliked about the story. It is concisely written, entertaining, educational and encourages kids and adults alike to see the common Canada goose in a new light. I did not know much about sandhill cranes before reading this story. I very much appreciated the new knowledge.

I give Just Different a well-deserved four out of four stars. Parents can feel confident in sharing this high-quality story about two quite different types of migratory birds with their children.

Just Different
View: on Bookshelves
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

I didn't expect this when I selected this book but i love the message it passes across. Acceptance.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

This book reminds me of The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White. Being different could be challenging, but you can also be proud of being different. Thank you for the introduction to this book.
Tochukwu Sunday
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tochukwu Sunday »

It's really a nice book, just emphazing on we shouldn't be judging other people or things based on what people think or say without trying them out.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

What a nice message for a children’s story. We could all use a little lesson in tolerance these days. I like that the other used accurate information about the types of birds to get the message through. Awesome!
adriana+28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by adriana+28 »

your review is nice and will help my sister want to read this book
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

"When it looks as if Willie’s luck has run out, he gets help from an unexpected source." I wonder where help comes from. Does it make him fit to migrate with his father? I look forward to finding out. Nice review.

Return to “Children's Books”