Review of Let's Go To Antarctica!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Let's Go To Antarctica!

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Let's Go To Antarctica!" by Nell K..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let's go to Antarctica! Happy birthday, Penguin Pipo! is a children's book written by Shanell Keene. The book is about an imaginary expedition taken by four siblings to Antarctica.

Avery, Xaila, Jenise, and J'cynn are having a quiet night with their books when they receive a birthday invitation from penguin Pipo. They set off on a flying train to Antarctica. In the south pole, they have fun walking on the ice, fishing, dancing, and making a barbecue while learning to love themselves. This book is about their bonding and adventure in Antarctica.

What I liked most about this book is that it talks about being assertive. Being assertive is an important quality that is required to live happily. Often, children are at the receiving end because they are young and dependent. They are sometimes compelled to do things they are uncomfortable with by their parents, teachers, friends, or others. They throw a tantrum to express their disapproval which lands them in trouble. If children could assertively express themselves, it would make life much easier for them. Assertiveness can also protect them from getting bullied by other children. Children should be able to stand their ground and not allow others to take them for granted. This life skill is explained wonderfully in the book.

There is nothing that I disliked about this book. The book teaches about unity and confidence. It also gives information about Antarctica and life on the continent. The illustrations in the book are beautiful and help take the story forward.

This book is well-written and well-edited. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to children ages 5-8 years. You can also read it aloud to younger children. There is no particular age to start being assertive, and this book will teach a thing or two to anyone who reads it.

Let's Go To Antarctica!
View: on Bookshelves
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I think assertiveness can be good in children as long as it is more for standing up for themselves, rather than being disobedient to adults. Sounds like an interesting book. If you are able, I would suggest uploading a cover to the book, not only to bring more attention to the book, but also to your review :wink:
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It's great that children learn assertiveness in the way that suits them best. Thanks for the good review.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

Thank you for this review. I always love reading a children’s book to children that I work with that had a lesson to be learned. This book teaches about asserting one’s self and that can help children who have the same issues. This is a book I would be consider adding to my daycare library collection.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I love a children’s book with a deeper message! It is great when an author can include important life lessons etc. in a way that levels with a child’s understanding. Great review.

Return to “Children's Books”