Official Review: A Grandmother's Prayer by Linda Olarin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: A Grandmother's Prayer by Linda Olarin

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Grandmother's Prayer" by Linda Olarin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To parents who have been trying to have children, or those who have been dreaming of becoming grandmothers, the message that a child has been conceived brings so much joy. The thought of having a little version of yourself and the excitement of having to bring him/ her up into a responsible adult can put a big smile on your face. A Grandmother’s Prayer by Linda Olarin is a children’s book that records the reaction of the author when she learned that she was going to be a grandmother. It also records promises she made to her yet-to-be-born grandson as well as all the activities she looks forward to carrying out together with the grandson.

This book has 15 pages. Each page is divided into two parts. The first part contains a pictorial illustration of the major theme of the page. The second part contains writings on the same theme. This book is written from the first person’s point of view, and in the future simple tense. The book takes the structure of poetry where there are rhymes and rhythms.

After waiting and praying for a long time, the author of this book, who is also the persona in the poem, finally receives the good news. She’s going to have a grandson. She not only sees this as a blessing but also as a way to erase her old mistakes. Out of excitement of anticipation, she writes this book, which narrates her joy, expectations, and her unconditional love for her grandson. On page 5, she writes,
I will be patient and kind.
We will have so much fun.
You will forever and always be my number one.
I will show you the world.
Our lives will be grand.
It will be easy. You have my heart in your hand.
I liked several things about this book. First, as a fan of poetry, I liked the author’s writing style. The choice of words was excellent. I also liked that each page has a pictorial illustration. This will be visually appealing, especially to kids, who are the primary target audience. Since I didn’t find any grammatical errors while reading, this book was exceptionally edited.

In conclusion, there isn’t anything I disliked in this book. I, therefore, rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Although it can be read by children above the age of 8 years, only those above the age of 13 will fully appreciate the artistic and poetic nature of the book. I not only recommend it to children above the age of 8 but also to adults who like poetry. Apart from children below 8 years old, I can’t think of any other groups of people who won’t enjoy reading it.

A Grandmother's Prayer
View: on Bookshelves
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

This book sounds really good. It has only 15 pages and it's amazing to know. I would love to know the emotional attachment between author and her grandson. I'll try to pick this book soon. Thank you for your beautifully written review.
Elizabeth Otieno 1
Currently Reading: The Hummingbird and the Bear
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Elizabeth Otieno 1 »

This review shows how the book has been written with so much love and appreciation. Am sure the children reading this piece would be intrigued especially with the pictures in it and the simple vocabulary used.
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

Wow this book sounds so interesting written with so much joy, excitement and love, the thought of being a grandma or a mother is exceptional great review.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I'm not a fan of poetry, but thanks for providing a sample from the book.
It's perfect for a message of dedication in a card.
The message is great, and the pages are just enough to make me want to read it.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

The author has created so much emotional connection with the audience in just 15 pages, and with such great illustrations, is simply genius. The language used is beautiful, and the poem is touching. Excellent book, and equally excellent review.

Return to “Children's Books”