Official Review: The adventures of pinch and nardo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Official Review: The adventures of pinch and nardo

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The adventures of pinch and nardo" by kenneth fuerstinger.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An inchworm and a bullfrog are the unlikeliest of friends. The Adventures of Pinch and Nardo, authored by Kenneth Fuerstinger, is about spreading friendship, trust, and kindness to everyone.

Trying to keep a promise to his parents, Pinch the inchworm must find his purpose in life. The only way to do that is by crossing the never-ending forest. He packs his bags and heads into an unknown adventure. In this new world, Pinch is alone and sacred; fortunately, he meets Nardo the bullfrog. Now, Pinch has a guide and a companion. Can Pinch trust a bullfrog—after all, they eat insects? Will Nardo disappoint his new and only friend?

As they trek through the never-ending forest, Pinch and Nardo circumvent obstacles and meet new friends. Most importantly, they learn about each other.

This 47-page tale is simple, warm, and picturesque; these traits make up the positive points. Nature-themed stories usually emote a dream-like quality, and I felt it in this book. Fuerstinger uses likable and whimsical forest creatures for his characters: ladybugs, bullfrogs, and worms. Pinch and Nardo's optimism during their ordeals—the storm or the ghost encounter—boosts the morale; in fact, I was drawn in by their happy countenance.

In addition, the pencil-colored illustrations enhanced the cheerful vibe, such as the orange-yellow sun and the raspberry-colored ladybug. Even the raindrops and the flower petals are given special attention. I, especially, liked Nardo’s bumpy skin, bulgy eyes, and webbed toes; unexpectedly, he looked cuddly rather than slimy and ugly. The drawings also doubled as single-panel comics with their bubble dialogues.

However, there are a few holes in the plotline. First, the ending felt plain, and the opportunities for bolder conflicts were lost. Also, the word choices and the sentence structure are adequate but limited—especially for the target audience. Emphatic synonyms would strengthen the plot action and increase attention span.

As a result, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The one-star deduction was for the reasons stated above; conversely, I did not give a 2-star rating because of the wonderful illustrations and the friendship theme.

I recommend this book to those searching for animal-themed stories about friendship and trust. Also, I can recommend it to younger and beginner readers. I would not recommend this story to older or advanced readers since they might lose interest.

The adventures of pinch and nardo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

Seems like a story of friendship and journey of finding yourself. A very descriptive review, thank you for your review!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Such an informative and captivating review. Its sad that the ending fell flat. Still appears to be an interesring book for young readers. Thanks for the review. :)
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the book is well designed and very nicely illustrated.
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

This sounds like a cute story about an inchworm and a bullfrog! Fear of the unknown often holds us back, but with friendly guides and willing companions beside us, any journey or forest becomes realistically traversable. Thank you for your helpful review! 🪱🐸
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Too pity that such a wonderful premise and an amazingly themed book ends flatly... But still sounds like a great gift for a kid :) Thank you for this insightful review!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's a good story and I don't know why it did not have a bolder conflicts. The description of the images is very well written and I like that about your review. Thank you for a great review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I hope Nardor didn't turn on his friend, they sound like such a cool pair. I like the artwork on the cover page. Thanks for such a fun review
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a wonderful story about friendship for young children. The illustrations sound wonderful! Thanks for your wonderful review!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Prisallen wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 14:40 This sounds like a wonderful story about friendship for young children. The illustrations sound wonderful! Thanks for your wonderful review!
I agree and thank you for your reply
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Nqobile771 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:43 I hope Nardor didn't turn on his friend, they sound like such a cool pair. I like the artwork on the cover page. Thanks for such a fun review
Yes, the artwork is quirky, and Nardo look cuddly for bullfrog. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Kavita Shah wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:22 It's a good story and I don't know why it did not have a bolder conflicts. The description of the images is very well written and I like that about your review. Thank you for a great review!
I would have liked bolder conflicts too. Thanks for stopping by.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Ellylion wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 07:10 Too pity that such a wonderful premise and an amazingly themed book ends flatly... But still sounds like a great gift for a kid :) Thank you for this insightful review!
Kids will enjoy the colorful illustrations. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 12:59 This sounds like a cute story about an inchworm and a bullfrog! Fear of the unknown often holds us back, but with friendly guides and willing companions beside us, any journey or forest becomes realistically traversable. Thank you for your helpful review! 🪱🐸
Well said! I like your insight :D :tiphat: Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

markodim721 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 11:37 I like that the book is well designed and very nicely illustrated.
Thank you for your insight and for stopping by.

Return to “Children's Books”