Official Review: Esafar by Karen Lee Cawley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
aodonnell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aodonnell.html
Latest Review: Cristos Rising by B.T. Findley

Official Review: Esafar by Karen Lee Cawley

Post by aodonnell »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Esafar" by Karen Lee Cawley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I read the synopsis of Esafar by Karen Lee Cawley I got excited, expecting an engaging adventure story. I’m sorry to say that I ended up disappointed with the result. It was not "cool beans."

Esafar opens with two boys who are constantly getting up to mischief and pushing the boundaries of respect for their elders. Their parents are desperate for respite, so Matthew and David are sent off to spend the summer with their Nana in San Antonio, Texas. The boys arrive prepared to be miserable but they quickly discover an underground cave system that promises the adventure of a lifetime. Along with their new friend Jennifer, they explore the nearly-magical world of Esafar. Discovering talking animals is the second most exciting discovery in the caves. The promise of lost treasure prompts the children to press deeper into the cave system and when disaster strikes they must rely on their trusty animal friends to bring rescue.

I liked the premise of the book, though I was unprepared for the arrival of the talking animals. Lost treasure and underground caves are a classic winning combination. The author used short chapters to keep the story moving. I had a lot of issues with the book, though. The author’s writing style is more telling instead of showing, like a report on the events instead of immersion in the story. I also got the feeling that the author was writing down to her audience, as though she needed to spoon-feed the story to her middle-grade readers. This was particularly apparent in the randomly italicized sentences that contained facts, usually about history or about animals. This felt akin to children's educational TV programs where the character speaks directly to the viewer to teach them something. It's appropriate for young children, but not for the 10-13 age range this book targets.

I rate this book two out of four stars. While the author has the pieces to write a good book, her approach makes it feel condescending toward the reader. Additionally, I did not find this book to be professionally edited. In addition to various grammar errors, the formatting of the PFD copy was unpleasant to read, with one chapter bleeding into the next instead of utilizing page breaks and centered and distinct chapter headings. Finally, the book is unpleasant to read because of the author’s neglect of the general rule to give dialogue its own paragraph. Readers will find sometimes three different characters all conversing in one paragraph. In instances where the author has forgotten to close one set of quotation marks before starting new dialogue or where she has the same character say several things in a row, each with its own set of quotation marks, the dialogue gets very confusing.

I wouldn’t recommend this book to any readers. It’s a middle-grade children’s story, however the author writes as though it’s for early grade readers. For adult readers it’s not particularly engaging, despite being a very fast read.

Esafar
View: on Bookshelves
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

I agree: the premise of this tale is quite intriguing! It's unfortunate that the author (and editor?) couldn't appropriately identify a target age group and adjust the writing to match. If there was an editor, I hope they learn to do better. If not, I hope the author learns why their services are important. Thank you for this review!
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

That's too bad that the book didn't meet your expectations. It would be hard for me to finish a book that doesn't consider its audience. Thanks for sharing your grievances and review.
aodonnell
Currently Reading:

Post by aodonnell »

Jagiine wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 17:12 I agree: the premise of this tale is quite intriguing! It's unfortunate that the author (and editor?) couldn't appropriately identify a target age group and adjust the writing to match. If there was an editor, I hope they learn to do better. If not, I hope the author learns why their services are important. Thank you for this review!
Yes, it's so important for both authors and editors to be able to define the target audience and make sure the tone and writing matches. I do hope the author gives it another try, either refining the same story or with a new one. I think she has potential.
aodonnell
Currently Reading:

Post by aodonnell »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 09:36 That's too bad that the book didn't meet your expectations. It would be hard for me to finish a book that doesn't consider its audience. Thanks for sharing your grievances and review.
It was a little bit of a challenge, but it was also a short book. The author had just enough threads of mystery going that I wanted to see the book through to completion.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Talking animals, huh? Yeah, this is not my cup of tea. Thanks for the honest review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Oh, the book plot sounds like it has great potential.
The conversion from one eBook type to another might have ruined the original formatting- it happens. I guess they have quite a bit to fix in the book.

Thanks for an engaging, honest review .
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think I will skip this book. Thanks for the honest and objective review.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book must be a very interesting and adventurous read. Thanks for an insightful review.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

The storyline seems good enough. I think if proper editing and formatting is done, this book will definitely move up to 3 stars, or even 4 stars!

Return to “Children's Books”