Official Review: The Missing Doll by K N Yelbew

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Official Review: The Missing Doll by K N Yelbew

Post by Jagiine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Missing Doll" by K N Yelbew.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Missing Doll was written by K. N. Yelbew but narrated by Ramona, a loving 5-year-old. Ramona used the 17 pages to tell readers the story of when she lost her favorite doll, Little Mona. Though Little Mona typically accompanied her human everywhere, Ramona suddenly noticed that she was nowhere to be found! No one in the family had seen the doll, and there was no sign of her anywhere that Ramona and her mom looked. To find out who was behind the case of the missing doll and where they put Little Mona, you’ll just have to read the story.

One of the first things I noticed while reading was how personably Ramona spoke. It was as though an actual 5-year-old (with a good vocabulary and great narrative skill) was speaking to me and sharing her thoughts. Her use of interjections and simple sentences is likely to make young readers feel personally connected to her. Along the same lines, the author was not shy about using exclamation points. I think the expressive punctuation marks will guide readers to add more emotion to their reading, especially when reading it aloud.

Ramona’s tale was bolstered by Kalpart’s illustrations. Though I’m sure the art was done digitally, it reminded me of watercolor paintings, possibly with some ink in the midst. Each face was drawn with wonderful details; the shadows, highlights, and face lines made the characters’ expressions easy to recognize. In fact, I could imagine a speech-language pathologist or psychologist using some of the images as they work on identifying social cues and emotions with patients.

I would love to say that I enjoyed everything about the book, but there were issues with the editing. There were a couple of instances of comma confusion, a blunder with parallelism, and a missing attribution for a character’s line.

In general, I loved The Missing Doll, and I plan to gift the book to a friend to read with her kids. However, the grammatical errors were too significant to ignore, so I have rated the publication 3 out of 4 stars. I hope another edition of this book is published with the noted errors fixed.

Whether they receive a copy corrected by the printer or by a loved one (as my friend’s copy will be), I believe children will thoroughly enjoy this tale. I also anticipate they will love any further Ramona narratives from Yelbew, who wants to build a series around the character. I simply caution that there is a focus on prayer in resolving Ramona’s issue, so parents who want to avoid religious influence may not want to share this book with their offspring. It also may not be appropriate to use in school settings where religious discourse is disallowed.

The Missing Doll
View: on Bookshelves
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This seems adorable. I want to know the story of Ramona’s missing doll. Thanks for your beautiful review.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I like that the writer used interjections and exclamation marks aplenty. They are everything in a children's book, really. Thank you for your wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I like the sound of this one! Lost dolls, emotional reactions, and a young girl’s journey to find her missing toy — well, those sound like very relatable things that many children will face. I hope the errors will be corrected in a future version, but the detailed and illustrated expressions in this one are a welcome attribute! Thanks for your lovely review.
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 23:29 This seems adorable. I want to know the story of Ramona’s missing doll. Thanks for your beautiful review.
It was a pretty adorable story! I would definitely recommend checking it out and then passing it along if you enjoy it. Thank you for dropping by!
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

C Janet wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 07:39 I like that the writer used interjections and exclamation marks aplenty. They are everything in a children's book, really. Thank you for your wonderful review!
Oh, yes! I completely agree :wink2:
I appreciate your joining the conversation!
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 15:46 I like the sound of this one! Lost dolls, emotional reactions, and a young girl’s journey to find her missing toy — well, those sound like very relatable things that many children will face. I hope the errors will be corrected in a future version, but the detailed and illustrated expressions in this one are a welcome attribute! Thanks for your lovely review.
I think many children will find it very relatable. My friend read it with her twins (one female, one male), and they both loved it! I'm grateful that most of the errors can be fixed with a felt-tip pen. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

This seems like an adorable book that would be fun to read to my younger family members. It's good to see that the way Ramona speaks is accurate; I think a lot of authors have trouble capturing the spirit and vocabulary of kids. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

maggi3 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 21:51 This seems like an adorable book that would be fun to read to my younger family members. It's good to see that the way Ramona speaks is accurate; I think a lot of authors have trouble capturing the spirit and vocabulary of kids. Thanks for the review!
I think you and your family members would find it down to earth and plenty enjoyable. Thank you for stopping by!
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

It's a shame about the errors, but great that the author wrote the daughter's speech so realistically. The pictures sound like they'd be nice to study, as well. Thanks for the thoughtful review!
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

MsTri wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 10:52 It's a shame about the errors, but great that the author wrote the daughter's speech so realistically. The pictures sound like they'd be nice to study, as well. Thanks for the thoughtful review!
Yes, yes! I hope the errors get fixed so many families can enjoy this book without issue. Thanks for joining the discussion!
Shrashti_04
Favorite Book: Finding James
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Shrashti_04 »

I would like to know if Ramona accomplished to find her favorite doll or not at the end. This kind of book is great for kids but I will also read this because I think this is adorable and kind of funny for me.
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Shrashti_04 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 22:58 I would like to know if Ramona accomplished to find her favorite doll or not at the end. This kind of book is great for kids but I will also read this because I think this is adorable and kind of funny for me.
I'm happy that your curiosity has been piqued! As an adult, I did enjoy the story, and I definitely think it could be a nice story to thumb through for some good feelings. Enjoy, and thank you for coming by!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I love reading children's book and if it has colourful pictures on it, it becomes cherry on cake for me. As it is a story about 5 years old missing her doll, it would be fun to read this book. I personally love kids and how innocently they believe and talk. I'll try to pick this book soon. Thank you for your amazing review.
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 03:30 I love reading children's book and if it has colourful pictures on it, it becomes cherry on cake for me. As it is a story about 5 years old missing her doll, it would be fun to read this book. I personally love kids and how innocently they believe and talk. I'll try to pick this book soon. Thank you for your amazing review.
It sounds like this would be a very fun book for you. I hope you enjoy it when you get your hands on it! Thank you for joining the conversation :tiphat:

Return to “Children's Books”