Official Review: The Firma Twins and the Flute of Enchant...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Official Review: The Firma Twins and the Flute of Enchant...

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Firma Twins and the Flute of Enchantment" by D. H. Timpko.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Electra, a 12-year-old girl, is a shape-shifter; she changes to objects, animals, and back to human form. Her sister, Isis, is the long foretold Wielder of the Purple Staff of Death. The transformations Electra experiences do not come without a price. She’s exhausted, thirsty, and there are even chances of never returning to human form. Therefore, they have to learn how to manage their powers.

There’s a major stake at hand, nonetheless. Some aliens who can shape-shift to rats the size of adult humans have stolen the Flute of Enchantment, and Electra has to find it. On the other hand, Isis has to fight aliens elsewhere. The undertakings may cost them their lives, but they’re determined to win. The Firma Twins and the Flute of Enchantment by D. H. Timpko is a masterpiece! As the title reads, the book is going to enchant you from the beginning to the end.

The author’s humor shines in this book. I smiled, chuckled, and even laughed from the beginning until the concluding page. That was what I enjoyed most about the book. For instance, in chapter two, Electra shape-shifted into a cardboard box and had to transform back to human form. The elucidations of her transformation back to human form were funny and thrilling to read. Also, I appreciate the author’s vivid descriptions. Some included Electra’s dark red hair, Isis’s green eyes and two left feet, and Willoughby's purple eyes.

On the contrary, I disliked one aspect. I encountered complex terms as I devoured this book. I agree the complexity of the terms was suitable for the genre it falls under; nonetheless, I had a tough time fathoming their meanings. Words like Vympyrym, FluVac, and Cliosape were not easy to understand.

I did not encounter a single error as I read the book; therefore, it is professionally edited. Despite the hard words, the tale was engrossing. The dialogues between the twin sisters were humorous and captivating. Electra is a bit of a showoff, while her twin is the exact opposite of her personality; she’s not overly ornate. Their two contrasting qualities cause disagreements, which in turn spice up the book. However, this work could not have been a success without the contributions of other characters like Dr. Dearth, Tom, Kelly, and Phoenix. Nevertheless, because of the continuous usage of complex words, my enjoyment of the tale was often affected. As a result, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to middle grade kids who enjoy devouring science fiction publications.

The Firma Twins and the Flute of Enchantment
View: on Bookshelves
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

This story sounds whimsical. The adventures of these unusual twin siblings will be interesting to read about.
And I think the use of those odd words was to add a layer of mystery and quirkiness to the story.
Thanks for this wonderful review :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Pratima Solanki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pratima-solanki.html
Latest Review: Steel Reign: Flight of The Starship Concord by Braxton Cosby

Post by Pratima Solanki »

This story looks like adventurous. Relationship of two siblings and superpowers are really interesting. It have so many mysterious and miracles. But at the end it's good story.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

As I only have one elder sister it will interesting read for me. Um.. we don't have any magical powers but we both are humorous , so I think so I can relate with the both sisters characters. As this book contain magic and fighting with aliens, it makes this novel sounds more exciting. Thank you for your amazing written review.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

This book does not sound like anything that I have ever read before! What an intriguing story with sci-fi twists. I agree with you - challenging words in a children's book can be problematic.

Return to “Children's Books”