Official Review: The Big City Dance (children's picture b...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Official Review: The Big City Dance (children's picture b...

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Big City Dance (children's picture book-3 years and up)" by Valerie Doherty.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Big City Dance by Valerie Doherty is a lively children’s storybook about a rodent with mixed emotions. As the story begins, readers meet Moe Doodle, a country mouse who sits around barefoot while wearing a red bandana and overalls. His best friends are farm animals, and he expresses to them his desire to leave his rural life behind. He starts to envision tuxedos and top hats, and he quickly sets off in search of some thrilling, urban adventures! While the bright lights and tall buildings of the large city do excite him, he does start to feel lonely and homesick as he begins to miss his old pals.

He decides to combat his feelings with distraction, so he buys some shiny dancing shoes and sets out to learn a new skill. While attending his first dance class, he meets a female mouse named Sal. As he and his new dance partner actively practice the jive, their friendship soon blossoms, and Moe starts to thrive! He courageously calls up his old country friends and invites them to visit and take part in his wins.

This 25-page story featured a mix of succinct lines of text and illustrations on every page. The snippets of dialogue were lively and engaging, and the terminology felt approachable and appropriate for little readers. Most of the typed content exhibited catchy, rhyming rhetoric, and I suspect kids would love the interspecies blend of animal friends. From a visual perspective, all of the depictions were colorful, charming, and full of personality. Bright red umbrellas, matchboxes, cupcakes, fire hydrants, and tiny campfires in cola cans made me smile, but I really enjoyed seeing a chicken answer a rotary-dial telephone. I loved all of the quirky illustrations by Brenda Higgins, and the fairytale images complemented the scenes nicely. Musical notes were even sprinkled around the pages like dancing particles of rhythmic confetti.

I only encountered a few small errors while reading, but they did not affect my overall enjoyment of the story. There was nothing about the book I disliked, and I think kids with active imaginations and wiggly bursts of energy would love seeing so many straightforward action-word prompts, such as “twirl, clap, jump, stomp, bend, shake, and swirl.” The storyline stressed the importance of progressive, forward movement in life. It also aimed to discourage whining, pouting, and periods of self-pity.

I do feel this book would be appropriate for the target reader age range of three years and up, and I would recommend it to kids who love music, movement, and well-dressed mice. Parents and guardians might need to help with pronunciation and explanation of some of the mentioned dances, especially since many of them aren’t as current and popular as they once were. Throughout the book, I encountered comments about the jitterbug, twist, cha-cha, polka, waltz, merengue, and Lindy Hop.

I think this title would make a great addition to any early childhood curriculum, and I do feel that it has the potential to spark layered incorporation of other multicultural activities like cooking. For instance, kids could sample flavors of salsa while learning to salsa dance. I gladly award this whimsical little book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Themes of friendship, courage, bravery, determination, confidence, yearning, and perseverance fill the pages with exciting possibilities. Doherty dedicates this story to those who choose to dance, and I wholeheartedly support any children’s book that encourages kids to remain active and hopeful!

The Big City Dance (children's picture book-3 years and up)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

This book you have reviewed reminds me of the old saying, “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten”. In regards to the basic themes and the desirable personality traits you described, we all (if lucky) “should” have mastered at an early age. A wonderful book to reinforce and introduce important values. Enjoyed your review immensely!
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 11:33 This book you have reviewed reminds me of the old saying, “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten”. In regards to the basic themes and the desirable personality traits you described, we all (if lucky) “should” have mastered at an early age. A wonderful book to reinforce and introduce important values. Enjoyed your review immensely!
Moe Doodle was quite the determined little mouse 🐭
He was destined for big things in big cities and he found his dancing confidence with the help of a new friend! Thanks for reading and commenting.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

Such an enthusiastic review! As a lover of children's books, this one is right up my alley. I like that it encourages children to stay active and learn new skills.
AvidBibliophile

Fireside119 wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 13:40 Such an enthusiastic review! As a lover of children's books, this one is right up my alley. I like that it encourages children to stay active and learn new skills.
Thanks so much! I do love a book with a lesson, and this wee mouse was determined to travel, dance, and put commendable effort into maintaining his friendships. He was a cute little guy! 🐀
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

A colorful book about dancing... I should read this for myself! Loved to read your great review. Now excuse me, I have to go dance :D
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Moe Doodle’s name reminds me of the pioneering musician Bo Diddley. They both know how to have a good time! :trumpet: :dance: :music-guitarred:

Thank you for introducing this lively tale!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
AvidBibliophile

MsH2k wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 22:39 Moe Doodle’s name reminds me of the pioneering musician Bo Diddley. They both know how to have a good time! :trumpet: :dance: :music-guitarred:

Thank you for introducing this lively tale!
Good ole Bo Diddley! I do love me some knee-slapping music 🎶 And legions of dancing mice would really liven things up! Moe Doodle was a real cutie in this one. Thank you! 🐭
AvidBibliophile

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 14:21 A colorful book about dancing... I should read this for myself! Loved to read your great review. Now excuse me, I have to go dance :D
This story definitely gets you up and moving. Clap, twist, twirl, hop! It was a sweet little dancing adventure, so thank you for the kind words! 🙏🏽
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

This sounds like a fun book for young children! As a former pre-k teacher, I love that it can be used in a teaching environment! Thanks for a lovely review!
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
AvidBibliophile

cd20 wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 15:22 This sounds like a fun book for young children! As a former pre-k teacher, I love that it can be used in a teaching environment! Thanks for a lovely review!
Kids will be fidgeting and moving regardless, so that energy might as well be funneled into some teachable moments about intentional movement, dance steps, and trying new things! I think they’d love this little mouse. He’s dapper and charming. 🐀 Thank you!!
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

What a wonderful review! The vareity of animals and new dance words and others would be great for children🙂
AvidBibliophile

Reader-247 wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 21:58 What a wonderful review! The vareity of animals and new dance words and others would be great for children🙂
Thank you so much, and I think so too! Little movers and shakers will love the dance theme of this one. And the mouse at the center of the tale is pretty adorable. 🌃🐁
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing this review. I enjoyed reading it.
AvidBibliophile

Mtibza eM wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 13:23 Thank you for sharing this review. I enjoyed reading it.
Thanks so much for stopping by to give this dancing mouse a chance! 👞

Return to “Children's Books”