Official Review: Ethan Fox and the Eyes of the Desert Sand

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Ethan Fox and the Eyes of the Desert Sand

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ethan Fox and the Eyes of the Desert Sand" by E. L. Seer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ethan Fox doesn't remember his past before the accident. The story is that his parents were in a cult, which is how he came to have strange symbols tattooed on his hands. He now lives with his foster parents, George and Betsy Fox. On vacation, he meets a girl named Hayley who doesn't seem to remember who she is or where she came from. As they are walking along the beach, a blue rabbit with yellow polka dots leads them down a strange staircase to a new world. Will the two come to find out who they really are? What is this strange world they find themselves in?

Ethan Fox and the Eyes of the Desert Sand by E. L. Seer is technically classified as a children's book, but I would put it in the young adult category. The author recommends this for ages 9 to 12. While it's a clean story with little violence and no language, it's more complex than elementary (or even most middle school) children would be able to handle. I would recommend it to teenagers or adults who enjoy puzzling over complex fantasy worlds.

I enjoyed the exceptional creatures the author created. For example, there's something called a copycat. Among other talents, it can copy almost anything its owner desires but will return to normal after its name is spoken three times.

The characters, likewise, were interesting. I most enjoyed Irvin, a mimic who's constantly spouting something nonsensical. As a mimic, he can shapeshift into almost anything. Plus, he's a good cook. Unfortunately, it was difficult to get to know the characters well because so many were introduced so quickly. The sheer number of characters in the book is mind-numbing, which leads to my main complaint.

The speed with which the reader is introduced to this new world is problematic. Within the span of only a few pages, we meet all sorts of new creatures and explore a giant castle full of wonders. It happened too quickly for me, leaving little time to absorb the descriptions in order to fully understand or picture the scene.

In fact, I spent most of the book confused. Just when I was getting a handle on one setting, the story would be moving in an entirely different direction. Not only is there the main castle, but there are also ruins, an underwater city, a forest, an old west town, and more. Honestly, it made me want to stop reading the book.

Because the story tried to do too much in too few pages, I couldn't give the book a perfect score. Therefore, I rate Ethan Fox and the Eyes of the Desert Sand 3 out of 4 stars. I've also given it this rating because it's inappropriate for its intended audience. However, it was interesting to read. If I wasn't trying to review it, it might have been easier to sit back and enjoy the ride. This is why I didn't give it a lower score. The author has a great imagination, and I would love to see a few of the settings and elements of the plot expanded upon. If the excess were removed, this would be a book I would read over and over.

Ethan Fox and the Eyes of the Desert Sand
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

The enticement of a new world is one that regularly gets me excited. Great review.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

When your parents are suspected to be in a cult, what else is left for you?
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I enjoyed reading your review. It's unfortunate that the story couldn't fit well into one book, especially since it's obviously interesting. Thanks!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Wow! This sounds like a very complex and creative story. It's unfortunate that the story does not seem appropriate for the intended audience. Hopefully, the author will do some revisions by expanding on the plot and integrating the characters better into the narrative. Although, even with the flaws, I am still interested in reading this book.

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kennedy NC wrote: 15 May 2021, 14:45 The enticement of a new world is one that regularly gets me excited. Great review.
New worlds can be fun and exciting. I just wish this one was explored more thoroughly. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Piece Nkem wrote: 16 May 2021, 07:12 When your parents are suspected to be in a cult, what else is left for you?
Well, the story is so much more than that. So many new places and creatures. It's fun. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

C Janet wrote: 16 May 2021, 12:12 I enjoyed reading your review. It's unfortunate that the story couldn't fit well into one book, especially since it's obviously interesting. Thanks!
I just think the author should have restrained himself some. Less places explored more thoroughly. It was still interesting, though. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 16 May 2021, 14:50 Wow! This sounds like a very complex and creative story. It's unfortunate that the story does not seem appropriate for the intended audience. Hopefully, the author will do some revisions by expanding on the plot and integrating the characters better into the narrative. Although, even with the flaws, I am still interested in reading this book.

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Yes, it's still worth reading. I'm sure it would be better if you aren't trying to follow every detail for a review. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Not sure I want to spend most of the book confused, but it seems like an interesting read. Thanks for the thorough and honest review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 17 May 2021, 08:08 Not sure I want to spend most of the book confused, but it seems like an interesting read. Thanks for the thorough and honest review!
It just jumped too quickly from one world and creature to the next. It's a fun concept. I hope the author develops it further. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I can’t decide if this sounds interesting or confusing. It might be both, but either way I’m intrigued to know about the creatures and the children’s past. Thanks for the great review
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Booklover Becca wrote: 17 May 2021, 10:04 I can’t decide if this sounds interesting or confusing. It might be both, but either way I’m intrigued to know about the creatures and the children’s past. Thanks for the great review
I understand. It is kind of both. I just wish things had been explored more in depth. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Wow! This book seems intruiging with an interesting storyline. I'm already imagining and wishing a have a pet like copycat. Thanks for an insightful review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 22 May 2021, 18:04 Wow! This book seems intruiging with an interesting storyline. I'm already imagining and wishing a have a pet like copycat. Thanks for an insightful review.
Yes, a copycat would be nice. It was an interesting story. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Children's Books”