Official Review: The "Tails" of Lord Benjamin F...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Official Review: The "Tails" of Lord Benjamin F...

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The "Tails" of Lord Benjamin Fritzie" by Park Shoun Balevre.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Park Balevre, The "Tails" of Lord Benjamin Fritzie is a musical story of how Lord Benjamin Fritzie (who seems to be a Cocker Spaniel) grew a tail.

This installment is the first of a story collection featuring the canine character. Only 23 pages long, this charming tale unfolds with the Fritzwater cousins (Jaden, Cierra, Olivia, and Adrian) visiting their uncle’s (Sir Edward Fritz) castle. Uncle Edward's home is ancient and filled with places to discover: a magical pond, a high tower, a mote, and a dungeon. After a long afternoon in the hot sun, Cierra gets freckles all over her face. Saddened, she is fearful and ashamed of her horrible spots. Fortunately, Uncle Edward has a wise tale about another family member who suffered a similar predicament—their great “granddog” Lord Benjamin Fritzie.

I was amazed by the high level of engagement in the story. On top of being a picture book, it is a sing-along. The medieval tune is composed and written by the author. It could be played on any e-reader without problem (I used an Amazon tablet). The song was performed by Ted Louckes and Brian Luckett; as a notable mention, the comical illustrations were drawn by Aniqa Siddiq.

As a bonus, there is a musical sheet on the last page—written in notes and chords; the score seems easy enough for any beginners. Children learning their notes will like the upbeat and quirky rhythm. This was my favorite part of the book. Moreover, there is an important message of self-esteem and acceptance. In addition, the characters are racially diverse, which promotes unity. Each of these points is a positive aspect of this story.

The downside of this tale is the brevity; I would have liked to read the complete adventures of Lord Fritzie. Nonetheless, this shows how much I enjoyed the story. As a result, I did not count the length as a negative against the book.

I gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars; I sang and dabbled along on the piano. The plot execution was original and humorous; therefore, I found no reason to give it a lower rating.

I would recommend this book to music teachers and their students. I also recommend it to anyone learning how to play a musical instrument—the musical score might be a good practice. I would not recommend it to those expecting a long chapter book.

The "Tails" of Lord Benjamin Fritzie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Nice! The sing-along takes the fun and learning to a new level. Thanks for the recommendation.
Mercy119
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I like that the author delivered a solid storyline with fun and educational bits that will suit the young readers who are his intended audience.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The review is believable and intriguing. I am eager to read the book.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

What a wonderful book for beginners. I am trying my hand on piano( e-piano) so maybe I'll read this. Thank you for a great review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

What a cute idea to incorporate both music and reading. The idea of the spaniel needing to grow a tail is humorous. Thanks for the great review
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

sssns wrote: 14 May 2021, 11:06 Nice! The sing-along takes the fun and learning to a new level. Thanks for the recommendation.
They sure do! Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Booklover Becca wrote: 16 May 2021, 12:22 What a cute idea to incorporate both music and reading. The idea of the spaniel needing to grow a tail is humorous. Thanks for the great review
I had a good laugh at that story! Thanks for your comment!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Kavita Shah wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:29 What a wonderful book for beginners. I am trying my hand on piano( e-piano) so maybe I'll read this. Thank you for a great review!
I think it will great for e-pianos as well! Have fun with it! Thanks!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Kanchan Sharma wrote: 15 May 2021, 01:29 The review is believable and intriguing. I am eager to read the book.
I appreciate your kind comment and hope you get to read it! Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Fireside119 wrote: 14 May 2021, 22:25 I like that the author delivered a solid storyline with fun and educational bits that will suit the young readers who are his intended audience.
He put the "fun" in work! Thanks for stopping by!
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This sounds like a fun, creative, and well-thought-out story! I love that the author chose to write and incorporate a song with a music sheet into the book. I haven't played the piano since I was a child, and now I am thinking about taking lessons again.

But I'm not entirely sure how a book starring canine characters can be racially diverse. Does the story feature individuals from different dog breeds?

Either way, thank you for a lovely review.
🐶😊
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 19 May 2021, 05:48 This sounds like a fun, creative, and well-thought-out story! I love that the author chose to write and incorporate a song with a music sheet into the book. I haven't played the piano since I was a child, and now I am thinking about taking lessons again.

But I'm not entirely sure how a book starring canine characters can be racially diverse. Does the story feature individuals from different dog breeds?

Either way, thank you for a lovely review.
🐶😊
The story does feature different dog breeds :D. It also features humans—I don't want to give too much away. I think you'll love the tune and the music sheet. Hope you get a chance to try it out! Thanks for stopping by!
BTW how did you get the dog emojis.

Return to “Children's Books”